amazon link to a300/a350 book, which would you recommend?

I've heard people mention the magic lantern guides. But i too will be in the market for a good a300 book soon! So i'll get what you are!

ha, mines hopefully going to be on my xmas list, so you first ;-)

I know that sounds logical andrewc which it totally is! But i think you're talking to 2 people who have only ever used pocket point-and-shoot cameras.

Which is a good starter book for generic DSLR? I think the only reason we're looking at a300 books is that they're specifically telling you what the camera can do, and how to get there!

I know that sounds logical andrewc which it totally is! But i think you're talking to 2 people who have only ever used pocket point-and-shoot cameras.

Which is a good starter book for generic DSLR? I think the only reason we're looking at a300 books is that they're specifically telling you what the camera can do, and how to get there!

same as Evil Ras
well i've used nikon d40, so quick exposure to dslr, but as probably the same as evil ras, be good to unlock understanding in a specific brand. hence i guess why there are several book options for them. i doubt these are stocked in waterstones for a flick, so don't even know what the contents is like, but i don't want anything too heavy reading or straight into technical.

i was thinking about nikon d80, but think for my hobby use the a300/a350 is a better option. but i saw in boarders the other day, there's a regular magazine devoted to it.

any comments on this?
really ideally want one with easy ordering i.e. amazon
uk

Iv only got chapter 4 so far but I think its worth the money btw its a ebook the published hardback version is around £75 iirc... but its great for someone like me because its not all technical and full of jargon, its simple to understand and builds your understanding of digital photography from ground up.

Sony have a magazine? I've heard of the canon mag, but not sony. Could be interested, As much as my head says canon 450d, my heart says sony a300!

sorry not sure.

i meant there's a magazine just for nikon d80.

waterstones online has this, so worth checking local store to have a flick to see if any good, next time near one:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=6277472Sony Alpha DSLR-A300/A350: Digital Field Guide - Digital Field Guide
by Tom Bonner

Synopsis
Walking readers through the controls, features, and functions of both the Sony Alpha A300 and the A350, this handy guide uses step-by-step instructions and provides full-color images of each menu screen. It cleary demonstrates how to adjust white balance, autofocus, exposure - as well as when and why to adjust each of these key settings. It goes beyond camera settings to offer readers a refresher guide on the principles of digital photography, covering the essentials of lighting, composition, and exposure. Packed with amazing examples, this book also presents readers with a variety of tips and tricks to capturing portraits and candids, as well as sports, travel, and macro photography.

Out in manchester flat hunting today, so might pop into waterstones/smiths and have a look. Also going back to jessops to compare the a300 to the 450d. still undecided on sony Vs canon.

Oh, and the a200 is a smidge over £200 now at play.com after rebate. There's a 5% play voucher knocking round the web somewhere bringing it to £198!! Tempted to right off liveview now?!

my main thing for sony a300:
1) i don't think i'll gain the advantage of the extra pixels from a350
2) has live view - going forward good for others to use say on self portrait family friends pics
3) can use minolta and other lenses, as have focus motor stabilisation in body

another reason to buy now is cash back offer
also there's jessops discount vouchers online and so save another £10-20 i think.

Sadly the jessops vouchers dont work properly. If you just buy a DSLR, theres no discount. But, oddly if you buy like a £30 flash gun with them, the discount that would;ve come off the camera comes off the light gun! so you get a free flash!

ONLY thing that worries me on the sony's is the noise on high iso, and the in body stabilisation struggling if you stick on a 300mm lens.

i tried it and think it worked, the discount code. it should do i would think.

let me try.

what did you try it on? as i tried it on a300 body and 18-200 lens
on the update the voucher discount i assumed took off the amount on first item listed.

Bought Sony A300 in Jessops today. £339 for Body, kit lens and Sandisk Extreme III card (£40 cashback still to come = £299) plus Tamron 70 - 300 for £99 plus £20 Jessops voucher (which I put in part payment for a Sony remote release cable)

Looking forward to putting it to good use over the next few weeks.

Back