more XJS rust repairs,,,,

Edit My Images
Yes
been putting this one off for ages, so i could pluck up courage to have a go at it,
the repair panels have been cut from donor cars over the last year or so in readiness
this is the drivers side rear ' buttress ' that is above the boot...
Jaguar_069_Medium_.jpg

buttress rust, common problem :(,,,,
Jaguar_068_Medium_.jpg

not so common, a rotted out section by the aerial mount :crying:
DSCN1156_Medium_.JPG

bit the bullet tonight , and cut the rot out after carefully measuring up the repair panels to ensure they covered up the holes again ,,
DSCN1159_Medium_.JPG

this was a bit tricky , as about four different panels met in the same place, but i got there in the end...
DSCN1167_Medium_.JPG

repair section fabricated and carefully set up so the aerial hole was back in the right place,
DSCN1169_Medium_.JPG

a little zinc spray after some rust stop treatment, and i will weld in in tomorrow hopefully
wish me luck,
BB

Impressive....as usual. When are we gonna see this beast on the road Vince? ;)

thanx ladz,

on the road....hmm

next spring i hope, i'm slowly getting all the bodywork done , all by myself to , lol

MyPix

Top work mate, looking good, got to admit i love seeing progress updates on projects like this.

top section welded in with a spot welder,
DSCN1170_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1175_Medium_.JPG

tricky little section , but i think it will look good when finished , and an almost invisable repair as the original joints will still exist..... ;)
DSCN1171_Medium_.JPG

buttress section offered up for some more fettling, will finish it off tomorrow i hope
DSCN1173_Medium_.JPG

with luck she will be painted by the end of January , or even before christmas , u never know.....lol
thanx for the comment
BB

super stuff Vince!

goodness....are you married? Does your wife miss you lol

A clever bit of work there I reckon!

You've done this before haven't you. :D

Nice work mate..... you've let yourself down with the spot welding though...I was scrolling down...oooh...aaaah, nice....Then, ... spot welding :( I was expecting to see some nice mig seems or something. :( ;)

Marianne said:
goodness....are you married? Does your wife miss you lol

Perhaps she’s relieved...

...to have control over the TV remote at last. Lol

Forbiddenbiker said:
You've done this before haven't you. :D

I was expecting to see some nice mig seems or something.

I'd guess he's done it before too. Mig welding of a seam introduces distortion as the welded side tends to lift due to the temperature differences. Seam welding in the middle of a flat panel can be done but getting it flat again afterwards is a right PITA. Near to a fold line should be OK but even then stitching instead of seaming will be plenty strong enough and less hassle.

Looks the sort of project that will be very satisfying one day. At the moment it looks like an awful lot of hard work!

I guess getting the spot welder into some locations can be tricky though?

:LOL:

--
RobertP said:
I'd guess he's done it before too. Mig welding of a seam introduces distortion as the welded side tends to lift due to the temperature differences. Seam welding in the middle of a flat panel can be done but getting it flat again afterwards is a right PITA. Near to a fold line should be OK but even then stitching instead of seaming will be plenty strong enough and less hassle.

That makes good sense to me Robert, probably the best way on a flat panel; strong, quick and low distortion....(I did Know Mypix knew best, hence the winky...honest.)

....I tend to Tig weld everything... but that’s only because... I don't have a mig or spot. :D

I do love a nice seam me ... especially when spelt correctly.

Tig will distort too unless you know what you are doing...stitch, cool, stress relief with a hammer,use bronze to fill etc. Fortunately I just had to come up with a method that worked..... left the production to the staff.

Must sort out those old product shots.

well, the repair panel is now fully welded in, i used the mig this time, as the spot welder couldnt access the area properly, however, the ' exposed/seen ' joints did get a spot weld to keep the ' look ' of originality,

DSCN1181_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1184_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1182_Medium_.JPG

there doesnt apear to be any distortion , and a straight edge helps when looking for any ripples in the metalwork ....i didnt see any :clap:

now for a light coat of filler and then a rub-down

DSCN1188_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1185_Medium_.JPG

btw , thanx for the comments,

yes i'm married, and have two boys ( 15 & 13 ) the eldest boy has a disability called RTS , my wife doesnt mind me being in the garage, i'm always finished by 9pm, and at least i aint down the pub, lol

I have never done anything like this before, this is my first experience of any type of bodywork/welding/filling etc,
but i must say i'm getting better at it , i think , lol

Well, thats that little project finished....my back hurts now though , lol

DSCN1192_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1189_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1190_Medium_.JPG

DSCN1191_Medium_.JPG

MyPix

Back