£800ish photo editing laptop

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
As per title. Do not mind refurbished etc. Been using a 4 year old Samsung notebook which is so slow and falling apart!

Just on laptops direct and so many I don't know where to start!

£600 is max so anything cheaper is a bonus!

Now £800 max

Last edited:
I think you need to advise us what software you are using ( recommended tech specs for the software), size of files you are editing and number (storage ).

Well basically I have been getting by with a old Samsung 13" Series 5 Ultra note book with low ram, Core i3 and tiny SSD!

D750 files editing in LR, PS and Bridge. Both Raw and jpeg usually around 100ish files.

Have a look on the Dell outlet web pages if you dont mind taking something thats been manufacturer refurbed. You can usually pick up a good bargain.
As a minimum for what you are expecting to use the laptop for i'd be looking at
Intel i5 cpu (proper quad core ones....not the low end dual core ones)
8Gb ram......preference though for 16gb

I assume you want a laptop for the mobility aspect. Do you want a small laptop chassis (13"/14") or are are you happy to consider larger chassis (15"/17")

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one of these
Inspiron 15 - 7560

for £470 on the Dell Outlet Site, plug an external HDD in for photo storage and your away
I can't get stupar's link to work but google dell outlet will get you there

Last edited:
There is one of these
Inspiron 15 - 7560

for £470 on the Dell Outlet Site
I can't get stupar's link to work but google dell outlet will get you there

Not a proper link its just one of those auto ones that are created as you type (y)

I'd consider screen resolution very important. I wouldn't want to edit on a 1366x768 screen. Would want at least 1920x1080.

Dell & Apple are very good options - often you get good machines in classified on here, for good prices.

I picked up a Dell XPS 15 on the classifieds here and couldn't be happier with it. It's a great laptop tbh and wouldn't hesitate in recommending the same.

Another vote for Dell Outlet - I've bought several machines through them over the years.
However I've been a bit less impressed with the quality of the Dell laptops recently so google for problems before you spend.
Mine needed to go back for a replacement touch screen.

I'd also second at least a 1920 x 1080 screen. My previous one bought for work was lower res. In addition to being too small to see enough the lower end screens lack contrast IME.

Obviously a well cared for used system is worth a punt, but keep your wits about you with any used purchase.

£620 Refurbished - Dell Latitude E6540 15.6" Business Laptop: Core i7-4800MQ, 16GB RAM, 256GB & HDD

Intel Core i7-4800QM Processor @ 2.7Ghz
(upto 3.7Ghz TurboBoost, 4MB)
  • Core i7 processor with the performance ready to meet your workload, be it database, email or Youtube videos.
  • 15.6" Full-HD Display with Anti-Glare 1920x1080
  • High resolution screen resolution helps you to multitask better
  • 256GB SSD (mSata / OS) & 500GB (HDD / Storage drive)
  • 16GB RAM
  • 2GB GDDR5 Graphics: AMD RADEON HD 8790M (& Intel HD Graphics)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (Windows 8 logo on the back)
  • DVD+/-RW Drive, Intel 6235N(Wifi), Bluetooth+WiDi
  • Media: Speaker built-in
  • Light Sensitive Webcam & Noise cancelling digital array mic
  • Ports:
    4xUSB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, VGA, HDMI, Kensington Lock, Docking Station Port, Audio jacks, Card Reader: SD
  • Primary battery (6 cell / 65Wh)

£620 Refurbished - Dell Latitude E6540 15.6" Business Laptop: Core i7-4800MQ, 16GB RAM, 256GB & HDD

Intel Core i7-4800QM Processor @ 2.7Ghz
(upto 3.7Ghz TurboBoost, 4MB)
  • Core i7 processor with the performance ready to meet your workload, be it database, email or Youtube videos.
  • 15.6" Full-HD Display with Anti-Glare 1920x1080
  • High resolution screen resolution helps you to multitask better
  • 256GB SSD (mSata / OS) & 500GB (HDD / Storage drive)
  • 16GB RAM
  • 2GB GDDR5 Graphics: AMD RADEON HD 8790M (& Intel HD Graphics)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (Windows 8 logo on the back)
  • DVD+/-RW Drive, Intel 6235N(Wifi), Bluetooth+WiDi
  • Media: Speaker built-in
  • Light Sensitive Webcam & Noise cancelling digital array mic
  • Ports:
    4xUSB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, VGA, HDMI, Kensington Lock, Docking Station Port, Audio jacks, Card Reader: SD
  • Primary battery (6 cell / 65Wh)

Nice, going to look at Dell ones when home.

Got the Medion and sending bike. The screen has more light leaks than anything I have ever seen!!!

Going to up the budget

Got the Medion and sending bike. The screen has more light leaks than anything I have ever seen!!!

Going to up the budget

That's annoying, can't imagine they're all like that though, maybe just a one off.

Search on hotukdeals, loads of laptop deals and quite often come up at John Lewis which provides an amazing warranty

Going to up the budget

That's annoying, can't imagine they're all like that though, maybe just a one off.

Search on hotukdeals, loads of laptop deals and quite often come up at John Lewis which provides an amazing warranty

Couldn't find that one on dell outlet. Will have another look when at work.

Was looking at MacBooks. No idea what's good and bad spec wise. I don't really need it to play games. But something with a decent screen that's portable which can handle large RAW files is about all I want as that's the laptops primary job. Are the entry level airs any good?

Was looking at MacBooks. No idea what's good and bad spec wise. I don't really need it to play games. But something with a decent screen that's portable which can handle large RAW files is about all I want as that's the laptops primary job. Are the entry level airs any good?

Anything other than a Macbook Air and more recent than 2014 will be more than sufficient. So that's a Macbook pro or the newer 12" ones are actually pretty fine too.

The great thing about Macbooks is that their screens are very very good and for photo editing you want as high-res as possible so the retina screens are fantastic, even a lot of new Windows laptops only have 1080p which isn't really enough IME (and why you should steer clear of an Air).

See if you can get a deal on a Surface book. I find the touch screen very handy when editing photos (as well as using the pen). Sure you can carry around a wacom too, but it's not the same convenience.
Resolution and colour accuracy are also very very good.

After owning mine I find myself trying to regularly touch any screen, even if it's not touch screen!!!

I'd definitely advise something with a high resolution screen. I found 1080p the minimum I could use. The power of a macbook pro would be better than the surface book sue to the quad core processors available, but for heavy editing tasks I use my PC anyway.

Only the 15" MBPs have quad core.

But honestly, you don't need a powerful processor to smash through raws, a fast burst speed is enough and a good balanced system gives a better overall experience (fast SSD, good screen, nice touchpad etc).

This is why, in general use I don't feel much difference between my 2015 12" Macbook and brand spanking new 13" 3.1ghz MBP. Yes, in bulk actions like exporting the extra power comes in handy but honestly, in general use there's not much between them.

At the end of the day, unless you spend more than £1000 you aren't going to get a good screen, there's always a compromise to be made. Do you really need a laptop for editing on the go or is it just due to having small size editing due to living space constraints? Small form personal computers and a 21" screen might be a better solution.

At the end of the day, unless you spend more than £1000 you aren't going to get a good screen, there's always a compromise to be made. Do you really need a laptop for editing on the go or is it just due to having small size editing due to living space constraints? Small form personal computers and a 21" screen might be a better solution.

I could probably go desktop TBH if I really wanted too. Laptops are handy to have, but maybe I should go desktop instead.

I would always have a desktop option before the laptop. I find it really convenient to have a laptop, but really, it's just so I can do minor editing etc in the livingroom rather than the spare room!

The thing to consider with a desktop though is that a good monitor can set you back a few hundred as well, though you will get a lot more for your money. I've built several PC's and the spec you can cram in for the price is insane. Go a few generations back with things like processors and GPU's and you'll save a fortune.

I'm currently running a i7 5820k, GTX 970 PC which cost me around £700 to build about a year and a half ago. Look on Amazon warehouse for discounted parts and you can find some good savings too.

My answer to this problem six months ago was an Asus Zenbook UX330UA. Processor i5-6200U, 8GB RAM, excellent high-res nearly 4K screen of 3200x1800, 13" for good portability, and visible without colour etc changes from an unusually wide range of view angles, and a 256GB SSD "disc". The screen is delightfully good! I had been running a five year old desktop machine built for fast photo processing which despite having 16GB RAM had taken a serious hit in image processing speeds when I moved up from 14MP to 24MP image files. It varies a lot depending on what I'm doing, but roughly on average this laptop is about 5 times faster in image processing. The old machine had become annoyingly slow. This one is not always instant, but never annoys me with its occasional slight delays. It's the SSD which I think makes the biggest difference.

My answer to this problem six months ago was an Asus Zenbook UX330UA. Processor i5-6200U, 8GB RAM, excellent high-res nearly 4K screen of 3200x1800, 13" for good portability, and visible without colour etc changes from an unusually wide range of view angles, and a 256GB SSD "disc". The screen is delightfully good! I had been running a five year old desktop machine built for fast photo processing which despite having 16GB RAM had taken a serious hit in image processing speeds when I moved up from 14MP to 24MP image files. It varies a lot depending on what I'm doing, but roughly on average this laptop is about 5 times faster in image processing. The old machine had become annoyingly slow. This one is not always instant, but never annoys me with its occasional slight delays. It's the SSD which I think makes the biggest difference.

Looks nice that!

Just found version running i7 and larger ssd! I'm sold.

the problem with laptops is once you get one you are stuck with it as far as upgradeability is to a certain extent. I have a 15" Macbook Pro and I have used that extensively for a few years now, still pretty fast but it has reached its limits as far as ram and SSD is concerned.

I have just built my own workstation from scratch, picked the best parts within a budget but the beauty is that it is really easy to upgrade in the foreseeable future. The unit without the monitors was under your budget if you care to take that route and then you can add on as you go along.

FWIW my current setup even with the two Dell2716D monitors was cheaper than my Macbook Pro and to be honest is a real pleasure to use, you cannot beat a twin monitor setup for graphic work.

Just found version running i7 and larger ssd! I'm sold.
Make sure it has a good quality screen for photography! A friend has a bigger more powerful Asus laptop than mine, but for photograph editing the screen is horrible, mostly poor off-axis viewing -- the colours and contrast change a lot if you move your head!

Make sure it has a good quality screen for photography! A friend has a bigger more powerful Asus laptop than mine, but for photograph editing the screen is horrible, mostly poor off-axis viewing -- the colours and contrast change a lot if you move your head!

Has the screen! Hope it's up to the task!!

Back