10-20... ND or POLARIZER?????

Name
SAM MOLYNEUX
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says witch is better for the sigma 10-20? i use this lnse all the time at car shows and really miss not have a polarizer for it... always been scared it might be to wide for either... what do you sujest

cheers
sam

As the title says witch is better for the sigma 10-20? i use this lnse all the time at car shows and really miss not have a polarizer for it... always been scared it might be to wide for either... what do you sujest

cheers
sam

Either will be fine, but depends what you want it for..

They both do different things..a polariser will saturate colours (blues in particular in landscapes, reduce reflection and slow shutter speed by approximately 1.5 stops particularly in the polarised area of the filter.

The ND will slow shutter speed in any part of the filter but you can get different strengths according to how slow you want to get the shutter speed at the best ISO ie 100...that is all the ND is useful for really; slowing the shutter speed

I used to have the 10-20 but for landscapes and used a polariser with no problems at all.

It's actually the 10-20 and not the polariser that will distort the photo; the only problem I've had with a polariser and the 10-20 is that the polarising effect does not occur across the frame. That could happen on any lens of course.

I assume you're describing the converging vertical issue that's common with the 10-20mm?

As with any filters, I'd definately suggest getting the best you can afford

The Hoya Pro 1s (multi coated) should be fine with the lens you have and will not distort the image quality too much (if any)..

Never actually used that combo, so maybe someone who has will come along and give you the answer from the horse's mouth :LOL:

Been using a Kenko CP (very similar to a Hoya) with the 10-20 and not noticed any more issues than usual

Polariser will work fine on your 10-20 lens. Very good for killing reflections at car shows. Just get a good quality one.

Check out how a polariser works to get the best from it. The effect varies according to rotation, and for reflections the shooting angle to the surface is important - about 40 degrees is optimum.

You can get uneven polarisation on any uwa lens as the cols work best when the sun is at 90 degrees to to lens. Due to the angle of uwa's the light hits at different angles which can cause the uneven polarisation.

Back