10 stop filters

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd like to get a 10 stop filter for long exposures in the day. I need a 77mm sized filter. I have seen some that slide into place on the front of the lens. What are the benefits of these?

I'd suggest a screw on filter- any light leakage will be very obvious around a slot in filter.

The benefit of the plate filters is that they work better when combining multiple filters. Plus they allow you to place the line on a graduated filter where you want it. The negatives are cost and size.

You might be well advised to get slightly larger screw in filters and a step up ring. This will allow you to combine filters without running into vignetting as quickly. Or, if you're not using an UWA maybe a variable ND...

I'd suggest a screw on filter- any light leakage will be very obvious around a slot in filter.

That's not been my experience.

I have Cokin and don't use them a lot but... I have both the standard and slim holders and have used ND2, 4 + 8 for anything from 3 to 30 second exposures with no light leak problems that I remember. YMMV of course. I can't argue with the theory that a slot in filter system should be more prone than screw on but in practice it's never been a real world issue for me.

You might be well advised to get slightly larger screw in filters and a step up ring. This will allow you to combine filters without running into vignetting as quickly.

Yes.

I think I may start off with a screw in filter. Didn't realise the cost of the Lee system, although I'm sure its top quality gear. Can anyone recommend any makes to start off with?

If you search excellent cheap 10 stop on this forum, you'll see a thread about the camdiox. Used it a couple of times. Very good for the price!

If you search excellent cheap 10 stop on this forum, you'll see a thread about the camdiox. Used it a couple of times. Very good for the price!
SRB sell camdiox and some similarly cheap but half decent ones.

Not had any problems with my Lee Big Stopper ...

http://www.leefilters.com/

The problem I have with screw in filters is that they can vignette on wide angle lenses. I carry a 1-8 stop variable screw in and from Lee filers a 3 stop and a 10 stop. (Also various graduated filters.)

The Haida 10-stopper is great value for money and little or no colour cast.

Yeah i also have a haida pro 10 stop. I haven't used it much to be fair but i can't complain.

Square filters will be inevitable more fragile and less durable than a cheaper and more rugged screw in. In my books this outweighs convenience factor... it's just another thing to consider.

Square filters will be inevitable more fragile

Er, totally the opposite. Square filters tend to be plastic, which is a lot less fragile than glass. As I found out the very first time I used my B&W 10-stopper on Brighton beach and dropped it onto the pebbles.

Back