100 Strangers Complete!!

#40:100 Strangers - Nick
by iain blake, on Flickr

Nick is a student, an artist studying sculpture at Wimbledon College of Art - University of the Arts London.

"I am feeling a bit stressed at the moment, I need a break from university as there is a lot of pressure on at the moment as I am doing my dissertation.
I hope a break will bring my enthusiasm back"

Thank you Nick and good luck!

#41:100 Strangers - Emma
by iain blake, on Flickr

Emma lives in Kingston but was visiting friends in London.

"I am PA to a Mayor, a role in which I have to be very formal, I balance that formality in my life by singing.

I love to sing, its a passion. I mainly sing in traditional family run Italian Trattorias, Doris Day, Edith Piaf, to name a few whose songs I cover but I have a whole range of songs that I sing. I also sing in old people's homes, all the old ones by Vera Lynn and songs from that era.

I enjoy singing as a hobby"

"The advice I would give to my younger self?"

" Don't be afraid to take the risks you need to take in life"
"Live life with an absolute passion"
"Dare to have dreams - Because, even if they don't happen exactly when you want them to, they will come true eventually"
"You were once told "Girls need to SPARKLE" - Make sure you always do"

Thank you Emma!

Last edited:

#42:100 Strangers - Laura
by iain blake, on Flickr

Laura is from Spain but has been living and working in London for a few months.

"I work in customer services but wish to work as an interpreter in Social Care"
"My happiest moment was singing in a choir at a special event back home in Spain. All my family were there, it was a wonderful moment and very emotional"

Thank you Laura!

Your usual good stuff Iain. I like the comp on them all - getting quite addicted to that 'receding wall' look :)
Nick - looks a bit green cast on my monitor
Emma - lovely pose, great capture of the eyes. Cheek a little bright perhaps
Laura - another good pose and bright eyes , but again a little bright on the cheek? All these may be my monitor settings v. your settings

You certainly have a way with connecting with theses 'strangers' in that they pose very well for you - none of them look uncomfortable.

Next project - 100 friends :D

Your usual good stuff Iain. I like the comp on them all - getting quite addicted to that 'receding wall' look :)
Nick - looks a bit green cast on my monitor
Emma - lovely pose, great capture of the eyes. Cheek a little bright perhaps
Laura - another good pose and bright eyes , but again a little bright on the cheek? All these may be my monitor settings v. your settings

You certainly have a way with connecting with theses 'strangers' in that they pose very well for you - none of them look uncomfortable.

Next project - 100 friends :D

Thanks Alan (y)
The 'receding wall' look is quite deliberate, I have a vision of how the 100 strangers images will look together when I have finished. I want it to be consistent throughout so as they sit well together as a panel.
I intend to continue beyond this 100, with the next set being different poses, perhaps 3/4 length shots or straight on, I haven't decided yet.

The green cast is probably the processing, I have given the male strangers more of a cross processed look.

The cheeks do look a little bright I agree.

Re connecting with the strangers, they have all been great subjects, so willing to be part of my project. Some I do direct in the pose, others just stand naturally.

Thanks again Alan, I hope that you and yours are well?

Thanks Alan (y)
The 'receding wall' look is quite deliberate, I have a vision of how the 100 strangers images will look together when I have finished. I want it to be consistent throughout so as they sit well together as a panel.

Good to have a strategy so that you are not diverted from the theme

Thanks again Alan, I hope that you and yours are well?

Yes, thanks . we are all well - I should have a theme '100 shots of the grandson' - I have plenty :D

As always Iain (y)
Another great set, and Emma really does have a captivating smile :)

As always Iain (y)
Another great set, and Emma really does have a captivating smile :)

Thanks Chris (y)
Emma was very personable. I spotted her from quite a distance due to her red coat and thought she would make a great subject. She readily agreed and I spotted what I thought would be a suitable background with complimentary colours to her coat. Turned out it wasn't any good as there were graphics on it which would be directly in line with her head :D I thought about asking her to crouch down but thought better of that suggestion :D

Emma was so patient whilst we hunted for a background and ended up back where I had stopped her in the first place. The pose and the smile were all hers, mostly I ask the subjects not to smile but didn't here,so it's completely natural.

42 already, greedy boy! - I've run out of superlatives, perhaps I will just have to Bow next time I see you!

:mooning: oops wrong direction! :D

42 already, greedy boy! - I've run out of superlatives, perhaps I will just have to Bow next time I see you!

:mooning: oops wrong direction! :D

:D Yes it's going well Brian, I don't feel as if I am rushing though, if I get to the 100 soon, I am just going to continue with another 100.

Chests :cow:

, I am just going to continue with another 100.

Chests :cow:
I'm definitely subscribing to that, (y)

As long as its not hairy bikers or builders of course :D

I'm definitely subscribing to that, (y)

As long as its not hairy bikers or builders of course :D

You never know Chris ;)

Seriously though, I wish to continue in a similar vein, trying to get as diverse a group of strangers as I can, posing them in a similar fashion throughout for a consistent look. A friend at work suggested doing it to a theme of say occupations but I feel that would be quite restrictive. It would only work with obvious jobs, like traffic wardens, police, and as you say Chris, hairy bikers or builders.

There is plenty time though, not even halfway through this 100.
Any further suggestions will be gratefully received so as I can ponder over what to do next.

Ideas can be posted in here, alternatively, written on the back of a £20 note, sent to the usual address :D

alternatively, written on the back of a £20 note, sent to the usual address :D
Let me see how good this printer is, and I'll get back to you on that Iain :D

Well, something of a first for me on my project so far.
Yesterday, prior to me doing a double shift at work, what turned out to be 15hours straight through from 1500, I ventured into London to put a mid-week spin on my project.
Soho was my initial destination, but ended up going beyond that in search of suitable, interesting strangers.
After a good couple of hours, I still hadn't pressed the shutter on my camera. Different events prevented me from doing so, wrong background, not enough natural light etc.
I did think I was going to 'luck out' but my fortunes changed and I managed to capture 3 stranger portraits in the end. I definitely want to go with the mantra "quality not quantity"
I am not saying these are quality, I feel I am more humble than that, what I mean is that if I 'only' shoot three portraits in 5 hours walking around, thats fine by me. I don't want to just fire away at as many people as I can just to reach the 100.

Anyway, my results from yesterday are posted below, C&C welcome as always.

#43:100 Strangers - Cayelan
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Cayelan and his stylish look whilst he was sitting in the centre area of Seven Dials Covent Garden. He was waiting to meet a friend.

Cayelan is from Trinidad & Tobago.

"I came to the UK as a musician as there are more creative opportunities"

Thank you Cayelan and good luck with your music.

#44:100 Strangers - Brooke
by iain blake, on Flickr

Brooke from Melbourne but living and working in London.

I noticed Brooke and her striking looks whilst she was browsing her mobile telephone appearing a little lost and trying to get her bearings near Leicester Square.

I approached, introduced myself and asked if she would agree to be part of my project.

Brooke replied, "Yes, if you could tell me how to find where I want to go"

Me, "You've got a deal"

I asked Brooke where would she see herself being in 10 years?

"I don't really make plans. Thats weird! I don't even know what I will be doing in 2 weeks time let alone 10 years!"

Thanks Brooke, I hope you found where you were looking for!

#45:100 Strangers - Ellen
by iain blake, on Flickr

Ellen, a journalism student and fashion blogger from Leicester but now living in London was walking along towards Leicester Square with her friend and flatmate Katie.

"I like to be different and go my own way"

"Some people warned me against coming to London but I am at my happiest point so far in life right now"

"I would like to continue with my fashion blog and maybe one day run my own fashion magazine"

"Do you want me to smile?"

Me, "If you are a smiley person, then please smile, be yourself"

Ellen to Katie "Am I a smiley person"

Katie "Yes, definitely"

Thank you Ellen and Katie!

Just noticed this thread and flicked through the lot, I'm going to say all great photos - there were some that stood out more than others. I have a big smile on my face, just looking at all these people, funny how things like this can make you happy :)

Just noticed this thread and flicked through the lot, I'm going to say all great photos - there were some that stood out more than others. I have a big smile on my face, just looking at all these people, funny how things like this can make you happy :)

Thanks Dan, they were all wonderful people, I am enjoying this project immensely.
I am glad that it provokes that reaction in you, thanks again (y)

Still high quality Iain
Interesting lighting and b/g on Ellen - no receding wall!

Thanks Allan (y)
The background for Ellen's portrait is a shop window, I felt it suited her skin tones and clothes.
It was actually sloping towards her, so I don't think the receding wall look would have worked particularly well.

Thanks again for looking in and commenting, its much appreciated.

Another cracking trio of characters Iain, I especially love the way Ellen's coat(?) matches her hair (y)

Another cracking trio of characters Iain, I especially love the way Ellen's coat(?) matches her hair (y)

:D Thanks Chris, I never actually noticed that until you mentioned it.
A very stylish young woman was Ellen.

I'm being prevented from a full critique, but as a filler #1 super eye contact and the background is, as usual, complementary.

#2, I've had several piercings, but it was the wonderful eyebrows that stood our for me.

#3, fanbloodytastic, I know.... (Edit) iPad crashed.... So lost a lot of my post. Wonderful smile, jacket compliments Emma's hair and as usual BG is superb.

Cheers.

I'm being prevented from a full critique, but as a filler #1 super eye contact and the background is, as usual, complementary.

#2, I've had several piercings, but it was the wonderful eyebrows that stood our for me.

#3, fanbloodytastic, I know.... (Edit) iPad crashed.... So lost a lot of my post. Wonderful smile, jacket compliments Emma's hair and as usual BG is superb.

Cheers.

:D Thanks Andy, prevented from full critique? Are you on your iPad again when you shouldn't be?

Ellen's portrait is a particular favourite of mine, I am very pleased with the look/processing in that one.

Hi Iain

You certainly have a knack for identifying and capturing personality in your portraits. (y)

So much so, I find it impossible to comment as I think they might be listening. But I assume you don't tell them about this thread. o_O

Last edited:
Can't add anyhting really. Just wanted to say I stopped by and viewed and left in awe :))

Gaz

Hi Iain

You certainly have a knack for identifying and capturing personality in your portraits. (y)

So much so, I find it impossible to comment as I think they might be listening. But I assume you don't tell them about this thread. o_O

Thanks David (y)
I don't specifically tell them about my thread here in TP but they do have every other means to contact me, facebook page, email address, flickr and my mobile telephone number. I am sure, if they really wanted to, they could track this thread down.

I think if any of the strangers were to look into this thread, they would be more than happy. All comments have been positive, yes, I have had some critique, that is welcome and expected. All the strangers so far have been lovely, engaging people who have made this project for me.

No-one has come back yet and having changed their mind wanted their portrait taken down. Beyond my style of processing for a consistent look to my images, they are pretty much as shot. I only take a few head & shoulders shots of each stranger and try to pose them accordingly. Let's say any less than flattering shots, eyes closed or talking mid sentence etc are binned.

Thanks again David :D

Can't add anyhting really. Just wanted to say I stopped by and viewed and left in awe :))

Gaz

Thanks Gary (y)
Very kind comments indeed :)

Trying to keep the momentum of my project going, today I visited Cambridge to see what the relatively good weather would bring.
I managed to shoot two strangers portraits today which I am very pleased with. I think perhaps the secret is little and often rather than going out to shoot numerous portraits in a scatter gun effect. It comes back to what I mentioned in a few posts above, I wish to have quality (by my own standards) not quantity.

Results are posted below, comments and critique are most welcome.

#46:100 Strangers - Ting
by iain blake, on Flickr

Ting was waiting on the path beside the river in Cambridge for her friend who was taking photographs of the local birdlife when I approached and asked if she would agree to being part of my project.
Ting originally from Taiwan, now studying Childrens Literature Illustration at Cambridge's Anglia Ruskin University.

"I would love to have my work published but it is very difficult"

"If I were to be successful in getting published, I would like to stay in the UK"

Thank you Ting and good luck!

#47:100 Strangers - Taffy
by iain blake, on Flickr

No prizes for guessing what it was about Taffy that caught my eye and had to ask if she would agree to being part of my project.

I noticed her fantastic hair when Taffy was walking along in company with her friend Fabian.

This was one of those occasions during this 100 strangers project where I found the subject first then had to search for a suitable background. Taffy happily agreed to cross the road from where I caught up with her and Fabian to a church with what couldn't have been a more perfect door in which to pose Taffy in front of.

Taffy is originally from Zimbabwe but now in Cambridge from where she has just graduated in Graphic Design.

"My happiest moment so far was getting my results back after completing my dissertation"

"I have been applying for lots of jobs"

"Its difficult to plan for the future as so many things can happen to change the outcome of any plans"

Thank you and good luck Taffy!

Lovely tones in Ting's photograph, but Taffy is a belter. Very confident and proud looking lady and the blue, wonderful. It would have been easy to loose her hair in the blue BG but you've handled it well. The red bandanna contrasts very well with her hair and the BG.

Cheers.

Back