100 Year Old Glass Slides

Name
Nigel Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine who does house clearances found some glass slides in a property and gave them to me ,I have just acquired an Epson V500 so was able to start scanning them in.It's great to look at these pieces of history

1)
8432736105_2887f84174_o.jpg

2)
8432735977_c97e1c7f26_o.jpg

3)
8432735801_2f8b4b5920_o.jpg

4)
8433820216_b1760d205e_o.jpg

5)
8429921819_c283d9386d_o.jpg

6)
8431007236_c1f52c6d88_o.jpg

there nice but surly you cant copyright them as you didnt take them??

I agree with this. I believe the copyright doesn't end until something like 70 years after the copyright owner dies.

They're a wonderful find however, and in great condition! Well done for scanning them and getting them up! :)

They are lovely! Looking at the car/street scene, do you know whereabouts that was taken?

Makes you wonder if anyone will look at the photos we take today in 100 years time and think of them as interesting as these are...

Great photos by the way...

Anymore history on these photos.

Love the picture of the office workers and secretary outside their office, with the manager standing proudly centre/rear.

And the car scene - visitors from Chester getting directions perhaps?

A fascinating insight. Thanks for sharing. (y)

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if anyone will look at the photos we take today in 100 years time and think of them as interesting as these are...

Great photos by the way...

Time makes you think differently about these things,take the age and social history away from these and are they anything special photographically,hopefully what we take today will be of at least the same historical and social interest in 2113

Its a Gloucestershire registration plate

I had a quick look on wiki. It said that pre 1932, the first "D" was Deeside to Shrewsbury, and the second "D" was Chester. It was only a very quick look though so I could be mistaken.

I had a quick look on wiki. It said that pre 1932, the first "D" was Deeside to Shrewsbury, and the second "D" was Chester. It was only a very quick look though so I could be mistaken.

I just did a straight DD search and it said Gloucestershire, that's, what old photos do make you go and investigate them further,I am hoping someone can tell me what the car is

Time makes you think differently about these things,take the age and social history away from these and are they anything special photographically,hopefully what we take today will be of at least the same historical and social interest in 2113

Yes, makes you realise that what a photograph documents is infinitely more important than how it is taken or what it's taken with.

I just did a straight DD search and it said Gloucestershire, that's, what old photos do make you go and investigate them further,I am hoping someone can tell me what the car is

From what I can see, the letters used have changed several times over the years. Facsinating though, as you say.

Fascinating set...thanks for showing us.
Copyright's a bit cheeky though :)

It would be interesting to know the plate size and the sort of camera. They all seem to have been taken at belly height. looks like it was a pretty good lens for the time.

All the people were white collar types. But lower middle class.

It's kind of sad to think that when you look at these photos all these people are no longer with us. They lived their whole lives and never would have guessed that we would be sitting here talking about them. I wonder what their lives were like. Did they have children did they live full lives etc.

It's kind of sad to think that when you look at these photos all these people are no longer with us. They lived their whole lives and never would have guessed that we would be sitting here talking about them. I wonder what their lives were like. Did they have children did they live full lives etc.

Or even in my case do I know any of their relatives ,I am just scanning some more and the first one is of 2 blokes from my home town of Dudley

Hi Nigel

I was quite surprised to see the apparent sharpness and general excellent condition of the images. Did you apply any sharpening, or anything else in the way of enhancement or restoration?

Sam-D

Sam just dust removal on the scan and a small amount of Curves and Sharpening on the final image,basically no more than I do on the files out of my DSLR's

It would be fascinating to try to find the street scene location and retake today.
Note the surface seems to be loose gravel.

A facinating series of pictures, its such a shame that the decendants couldnt be traced and maybe even get some more history about them.
I used to have a quantity of sepia glass slides of my family, sadly they were destroyed in a house fire in 1995, just one of the things the insurance couldnt replace.
Well done on the scanning, the quality is very pleasing for their age (y)

If the picture of the car was taken in Worcester, apparently there was a "Redcow Inn" (sign on the left) on Bridport Street, which was apparently in an area demolished in the 30's and is now near the existing Hood Street.

See the tall spire reflected in the rear wheel-arch of the car...

8433820216_b1760d205e_o.jpg

...a quick Google Maps, street view of "Hood Street Worcester" and yup, whilst the area has been redesigned, the spire's still there (to the east). (y)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Back