[1024px] the 'Boy Racer', part 2

Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got round to sorting a few of the runway shots from the Lotus F1 straight-line testing at IWM Duxford on 01 Sep 10.

Sorry for the lacklustre set, the fencing prohibited folks getting within (what seemed like) a few hundred yards of the action, therefore this is the best of the bunch from the D300 / 70-200mm VR combo... :|

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

Last edited:
Number one stands out for me as the others all have much more distracting backgrounds. The car itself look in focus and the background has been blurred to help isolate the subject. For me more of a motion blur would have helped this stand out but I'm no expert in that area so don't know if panning would have been possible at these type of distances?

I would have also cropped more from the right and less from the left so the car wasn't in the middle of the frame and gave the view of it entering rather than exiting.

Lotus are doing well amongst the new teams this year, one to watch!

I've edited the ist 'truck' picture out so there's less confusion, so it's probs #1 you're discussing Steve (thanks for the +ve comment, means a lot) (y)

Number one stands out for me as the others all have much more distracting backgrounds. The car itself look in focus and the background has been blurred to help isolate the subject. For me more of a motion blur would have helped this stand out but I'm no expert in that area so don't know if panning would have been possible at these type of distances?
At the distance I was standing John, sadly 'what you see is what you get' in the motion blur department. I was panning at a fair rate most of the time though, even at that distance. No blurring was added, it's probs just the DOF from having the 70-200 VR wide open at f/2.8 a lot of the time :cool:

Your cropping suggestions are noted too John, albeit #2 has an 'enter crop' and the 'exit crop' of #5 was purely for the composition. Others, well they were really to illustrate a relatively 'alien' backdrop for a F1 car, as you don't often see them without race circuit type stuff in the background :)

Back