15-70mm ish options

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to upgrade from my 17-85mm canon lens.

Whats out there?
Looking to spend under £350 (2nd hand)

I'm not sure if it is within budget (depends if you include the sale of the 17-85 on top of the £350), but the newer 15-85mm is a great lens. Got one for my 100d the other week and it's been great.

Thanks ivan - i've looked at the 15-85mm and it remains a contender - i was hoping for a F#2.8 if possible.
The 85mm end would be a good advantage.

I would strongly recommend the Canon 15-85is. You will get a bit of change from your budget as well as a much better lens in every respect than your 17-85. It's also IMHO a better lens than the sigma 17-70 which has a similar range and will cost you less.

You could get a Tamron 17-50 for half of your budget. Great lens but less range.

Other options outside your budget are the Canon 24-105 or the Canon 17-55. Both great lenses but will cost you more than £400.

I have had the 15-85, the Tamron and the Sigma and I have the 24-105 and for all round performance, range and value for money the 15-85 I think offers most "bang for the bucks".

My opinion is not biased by the fact I have a 15-85 for sale as I am moving to full frame and this is for cropped bodies only.;)

The only other lens I think would be worth considering then if you're looking for a 2.8 is the 17-55mm 2.8 IS. Possibly the best lens for a crop body but as a result, expensive. I've had one in the past and it was excellent. There aren't many 2.8 options within your budget I fear without looking at prime lenses.

How does the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro compare?

If you can get a good one they are fine albeit a bit short at the long end. Sigma lens are a bit hit and miss and some suffer from back or front focussing.

The Sigma 17-50/f2.8 OS has been mentioned, any ideas on this lens?

No personal knowledge but seems to get good reviews from what I have read. The question you must ask yourself is do you want a faster lens or the extra reach?

If you decide you want the faster lens I would go for the Tamron 17-50 non vc. One of the sharpest "budget" lenses I have owned. Can be picked up for about £160ish.

Last edited:
The lens will be used along side a 70-200 canon so reach isn't too important.
Stabilization would be extremely useful though.

I think i'm now stuck between the Sigma 17-50/f2.8 OS and the canon 17-55is f2.8

Given a choice between Tamron 17-50 non vs and vc I would choose the non vc - consensus is it is sharper of the two.

Whilst I can understand IS on a telephoto lens do you really need it on a 17-50 lens I doubt if you would find it essential.

I'd recommend the 15-85 too. I love using mine and I've heard its built to the same quality as an L lens but can't be classed as one as it's only designed for the crop cameras. The IS helps in low light situations.

I think there's one in the for sale section for around 320 which, depending on quality, is a great price. If you don't like it then you'll be able to sell it on for the same amount.

Back