Hi

Well done with these images

I havent been to Lackford for a couple of weeks now, I gave up. I lost the will to live, with just the fly bys and none of the birds settling.

Was this in Bessies hide?

Hi

Well done with these images

I havent been to Lackford for a couple of weeks now, I gave up. I lost the will to live, with just the fly bys and none of the birds settling.

Was this in Bessies hide?

Hello again Ryan, thanks :) How are you and Sarah, both on form I hope.

It is indeed Bessies Hide. I was there again this morning, and filled two cards , I have'nt even finished processing this lot yet :)

I went to the Reed Hide on Saturday morning early and stayed till noon, a mate had been the afternoon before and emailed me some cracking shots he'd taken.

I of course on Saturday saw nothing, apart for a fly past or two.

It's very unpredicatable.

At Bessies the perch is'nt as close, unless the KFs sit on that reed mace under the window, but it's closer that in the hide where we first met :)

I went again yesterday morning. The early morning light was a bit harsh, I was hopimg to get the turquoise effect, but it was not to be :) I'll have to try the evening light.

I have'nt looked through them all yet but these two seemed not too bad.

Canon50D18031.jpg

Canon50D18145.jpg

My god Ant you are addicted to great set you are putting on glad you are enjoying the kingfisher they are fantastic to watch great stuff

Thank you Karen :) It's been nigh on a year since my last sightings, and the first time I've caught them with this setup, 50D and 100-400, so I'm taking advantage of every opportunity to practice techniques (is my excuse anyway :) )

More fine kf shots. Roll on the winter when SEOs take over ;)

Thanks Pete :) I've yet to catch any shots of any of the owls, Purpleclouds (Phil) did offer me the opportunity to go with him to see the ones he was photographing, but with the weather and the hour, I chickened out. I must try harder this year, definitly high up on my list :)

Here's another from yesterday.

Canon50D18267.jpg

Next time anyone slags off the 100-400L - show them these pics! :D

Next time anyone slags off the 100-400L - show them these pics! :D

:LOL: Nowt wrong with the 100-400 Cedric, not in my humble opinion anyway. Sometimes my use of it is questionable mind :D

These two were from yesterday, the adult female again with mud, and even a few feathers on her beak. I'm sure this was the juv female I was snapping last year, she, as usual shows up like clockwork, and could'nt care less about me clicking away.

The mud and feathers on her beak must surely be a sign of nesting duties, her second clutch it would seem.

Canon50D18337.jpg

Canon50D18345.jpg

Last edited:
I have been folowing you many updates on these and then realised I had not commented...think it was because i was mesmerised with the quality. Especially the 1st set...how far away was he.

The MOD has really brought out the sparkle in the feathers.

With regards to the Turquoise Blue...yes it needs the right direction and quality of light but it aint turquoise ...it's Kingfisher Blue ...there's a subtle difference.

Keith

I have been folowing you many updates on these and then realised I had not commented...think it was because i was mesmerised with the quality. Especially the 1st set...how far away was he.

The MOD has really brought out the sparkle in the feathers.

With regards to the Turquoise Blue...yes it needs the right direction and quality of light but it aint turquoise ...it's Kingfisher Blue ...there's a subtle difference.

Keith

Thank you Keith (y)

Thanks for following the updates, and commenting ;)

Interesting take on the turquoise debate, as allways I bow to those wiser than me on the subject :)

He was about 5 feet away when he was on the reed mace.

Initally after looking at me fom the twiggy perch, about 20 or more feet away, here he's on that perch, and he's checking for predators(unless there are flying fish in the lake)

Canon50D385.jpg

it flew for a closer look about 12 feet away.

Canon50D18082.jpg

And these are all about 5 feet away, the first is virtually full frame, the sides have been cropped, I was pleased to have caught the directly behind him glance :)

Canon50D599.jpg

Getting comfy.

Canon50D682.jpg

Ever vigilent for predators again.

Canon50D712.jpg

Oh and thank you to whoever gave me the stars, not me this time I promise :D

Another great set Ant

That "head back" pose really stands out for me 'tis a great shot (y)

Brilliant- I am still trying - Pics like these spur me on

Regards

Mike

Cheers Mike, I have'nt been at it long either, less than a year in fact :)

very nice and well done

Thanks Kev :)

Some superb shots on this thread Ant - well done :clap::clap::clap:

and yes, Kingfishers typically have at least two and sometimes three broods in a season.

Jeff
(Schedule 1 Licence holder for Kingfishers, Barn Owls and Avocets)
www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk

Ah..right, thank you Jeff, and for the confirmation, it has been three times in a row, that I saw her with the mud, and small roots and feathers on her beak tip.
That is good news for the future. I have to say her appearence looks a tad disheveled as well, as if she's otherwise preoccupied.

Another great set Ant

That "head back" pose really stands out for me 'tis a great shot (y)

Cheers Chris :) I caught some of him grooming himself, I've yet to sort through them, but in those he showed more of his contortionists skills. I'll post them later.

In the meantime here's some shots with fish.

Canon50D17892.jpg

Canon50D18128-1.jpg

Canon50D205.jpg

I'm glad you're keeping them warm for me :D Yet more stunning work Ant, I can't add anything to my praise...except to say my jealousy has reached new heights :LOL:

The owl invite is still open! We should do both in a single day when I'm down in a couple of weeks :) I'm praying for some good weather!!

I'm glad you're keeping them warm for me :D Yet more stunning work Ant, I can't add anything to my praise...except to say my jealousy has reached new heights :LOL:

The owl invite is still open! We should do both in a single day when I'm down in a couple of weeks :) I'm praying for some good weather!!

Thanks Phil :)
I'm looking forward to that, I'm not sure if I could manage both on the same day mind, but we'll see :)

At the moment we're getting at least a morning or afternoon when it's fairly dry, so fingers crossed we have a bit of luck :)

Barn owl first thing, then straight off to Lackford, we'll be done for 10am! :)

Blimey Phil, if we put a bit effort in we could do Minsmere and Bempton cliffs as well, might stretch it to 10.30 mind :)

Here's a couple more. The first one I tied down to make things easier for us.

Canon50D16757-1.jpg

Canon50D16627.jpg

This was one of the first I got of it on the reed mace, it was a breezy day and the reed leaves were constantly blowing in front of it.

Canon50D16948.jpg

Blimey they keep coming....and all the same great quality.

I think I will have to step up my master plan to get them nearer at "My" secret location ...He he.....It's the only way I am going to get "that" shot I crave....

Keith(y)

Oh and more ******

Just stunning!

Are you sure juvenile kingfishers don't have brown flesh?:D

Cheers Jerry :)

Blimey they keep coming....and all the same great quality.

I think I will have to step up my master plan to get them nearer at "My" secret location ...He he.....It's the only way I am going to get "that" shot I crave....

Keith(y)

Oh and more ******

Thanks Keith :)

Very Nice.

Ta Stuart :)

I got round to processing the ones when he was grooming himself.

Here's a few.

Canon50D18640.jpg

Canon50D18776.jpg

Canon50D18796.jpg

Canon50D18807.jpg

Canon50D18841.jpg

I keep checking back in the hope that I will see the 3/4 kingfisher
as per title as yet no luck :shrug: :D

Great set again Ant (y)

#4 looks like the preen gland being squeezed?
but they are more to the rear than that ( in hawks at least)

I keep checking back in the hope that I will see the 3/4 kingfisher
as per title as yet no luck :shrug: :D

Great set again Ant (y)

#4 looks like the preen gland being squeezed?
but they are more to the rear than that ( in hawks at least)

Thanks Chris :)

Back