17-40 L

DarrenToogood

JAMES CHARLES HARRIES
Name
Darren Toogood
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Fed up of my kit lens wide angle and therefore looking to upgrade to the 17-40 4.0 L, to accompany my 70-200 2.8 L and 50 1.8.

I have only ever purchased from Digitalrev and Jessops (and eventhough DR is based in Hong Kong, it still has the better service!) and therefore asking you guys today where you believe the cheapest place is to purchase this lens.

Although I am looking for a cheap place to purchase this lens, it also has to be reputable.

Many thanks.

Hi guys,

Fed up of my kit lens wide angle and therefore looking to upgrade to the 17-40 4.0 L, to accompany my 70-200 2.8 L and 50 1.8.

I have only ever purchased from Digitalrev and Jessops (and eventhough DR is based in Hong Kong, it still has the better service!) and therefore asking you guys today where you believe the cheapest place is to purchase this lens.

Although I am looking for a cheap place to purchase this lens, it also has to be reputable.

Many thanks.

Try Kerso...

Kerso seems cheapest - CPB has Microglobe and Amazon as cheapest and they're £40 more than that.

Awesome lens :)

Kerso is first class.:)(y)

Go Kerso for sure.. and your gonna love that lens:)

Thanks for the reccomendations to Kerso. Seems like a geniune seller with great form, and great prices.

Waiting for a cheque to come through, then I am placing my order. Also get 530 ebay points (for those who know what that is).

Try Kerso...

Another vote for Ian Kerr on price - he's well regarded on here. PM him as kerso or email kerso1123@msn.com

Get a price for an EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS which IMHO is a much better choice of lens on a crop format camera than a 17-40L (which is designed for full frame). It has more range, f/2.8, plus IS. It's probably a bit sharper, too. It's very well made, but not to L standard though.

Edit: I see you've got his details - must type faster :)

Another vote for Kerso, have bought from him a couple of times before. :)

Bought a lens from simplyelectronics £529 (free delivery). Purchased it through amazon from the same company and would would have got it £80 cheaper if I had gone directly to there site.

Spooky.. theres now 2 for sale on TP .. one at 400 quid.

My 17-40 continues to impress me each time I use it. Lovely lovely lens, colours are better than any other lens I have. I always found this odd how a piece of glass affects colours, but it really does!

Thanks guys for all the positive comments on here, I appreciate it. Darren lens should be with you today. Best regards Ian.
Purchased (y)

Let's see is Kerso can really impress and get it in the post this morning for RMSD ND by 1pm ;)

Another happy customer!

I have recieved the lens, less than 24 hours after purchasing it. Great communication and a great price.

Many thanks to Kerso, and all that recommended him. We need more people like this in the world.

3858760178_66cbd7bede.jpg

First first impressions:

- Weight is very reasonable
- Lens hood is a little big compared to the body, may be issues for some people in bags etc
- A nice tight mount to the camera
- Bit fiddley getting the lens off (may be just me with big hands)
- Looks beasty ;)
- Zoom ring is a little small for me
- Nice and sharp
- Nice, quick focusing
- No pincushioning

First first impressions:
- Lens hood is a little big compared to the body, may be issues for some people in bags etc

You can easily add a different hood, I found the original to be far too big to fit in my bag plus it was prone to fall off - the traditional substitute is the EW-83DII (24mm f1.4), however, I believe the EW-83H (24~105) will also work well on both the 16~35 and 17~40 with a 1.6 factor body – this is an interesting link which covers some of the options

Someone else suggested a different hood. I will give it a go and see how it holds up - Not really wanting to spend money that I don't NEED to.
I picked one up in a rummage bit for £5 did the trick.

I was considering the 17-40L but went with the 17-55mm F/2.8 as it suited me better, I am surprised when you were looking at them the bit more reach, IS and F/2.8 wouldn't have tempted you? Or did the red ring tempt you too much? Guess when it is just parents money you dont look into stuff as much as if it is your own money.

I wasn't looking for more reach...I don't like or need IS, and I don't need 2.8 too much...

Who pays for my lens is none of your business...however the money come from my bank account ;)

I wasn't looking for more reach...I don't like or need IS, and I don't need 2.8 too much...

Who pays for my lens is none of your business...however the money come from my bank account ;)

Fair enough just would have been a consideration for me in your position. I do a lot of low light stuff so it has been good for me.

Guessing the banks are tightening up now too giving people who were bankrupt accounts..

I was considering the 17-40L but went with the 17-55mm F/2.8 as it suited me better, I am surprised when you were looking at them the bit more reach, IS and F/2.8 wouldn't have tempted you? Or did the red ring tempt you too much?

Isn't the 17-55 f2.8 an EF-S lens? I wouldn't think that it would be much use with your 5D mkII...

Isn't the 17-55 f2.8 an EF-S lens? I wouldn't think that it would be much use with your 5D mkII...

I use the 17-55 f2.8 on nights out with my second camera - rarely take the main camera out on a night out with it being heavy and worth more!

Back