19 Herons, one photo !

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a tip off this morning so I thought I would go and investigate - look what I found !

img6970py9.jpg

Saw something similar once just on the edge of St Andrews. Think they were there for the golf!

you dont see that too often

:eek:

:eek::eek::eek: ive seen something like this when they drege the dykes in the marsh but nothing like this.

jason

Saw something similar once just on the edge of St Andrews. Think they were there for the golf!

Ha

Been to a similar match at fulham. ;)

I'm sure I counted 20 (1 behind the sheep)?

Still more than the cottage has held since 1996. :LOL:

thats amazing I've never seen more than a couple together
Pete

Amazing to see so many Herons together. Perhaps they had some sort of meet?!

Wow...most Ive seen is about 8 or 9!! Reminds me of when I saw 22 cormorants roosting in a tree....not bad seeing as how previously Id only seen them flying over head

I did actually go over the other side aswell in the vain hope they may come back, as I was in a bright red jacket with a long white lens it was always going to be a longshot, they didn't return :(

I saw 3 herons and 8 cormorants down at the weir in chester but nothing as amazing as what you have seen!

Wow, never seen anything like that before, nicely captured.
Looks like they were taken near to Dallam Tower?

OK so that's where all my Herons have gone, nice shots

It's unusual to see so many Herons in one spot - they're normally solitary birds, unless it's to breed or roost!!

I wonder if as stafftaxi says, they're after frogs or something - there any ponds close by?

Thanks for sharing! :D

Matt

very rare to see so many herons in one go ive seen one or two but not this many(y)

I saw something similar in a field next to Levens Hall in Cumbria once.

No river or stream in the field. Very strange. I wondered if they were after frogs?

Well you will be happy to know that they still hang out there late afternoon, absolute nightmare to try and capture a shot of them though, got a dog and walk along the pavement, not a second glance from the Herons, stop and look, again not a glance - raise the camera and they are off !

Back