1D4 and 7D differences

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't decided between either a used 1DmkIV body, or a used 7D body and 70-200 f2.8 IS mkII. ie I have around £2500(ish) to play with.

For the likes of aviation, motorsport, marathon, badminton (the sport not the horse stuff :D) and general shooting when difference is there between the two bodies?

I have owned both bodies but not at the same time so couldn't compare them.

I've got the MkIII and a 7, and it's a close run thing between them, but given the option of a IV I'd take it in a shot. Once you throw the 70-200 II into the mix however, it becomes a different equation and one that needs your current lens line up to be taken into account as well.

You've owned both, and know the benefits and downsides of both, so the real problem is down to which suits your current kit and shooting style the best; and only you can properly answer that one! :)

Having said that, and given the current market, I think that you'd be very luck to find a UK sourced MkIV for that price and you're pushing it for the 7D and lens as well.

Best of luck though! :)

Thanks Mark. I currently have a 17-40 and 24-70 and no body at all!

The mkIV really is the one that ticks all the boxes and would not require upgrading for a good few years so is certainly the way I am leaning right now. I should get enough spare cash by maybe christmas time to add the 70-200 then. I certainly can't afford both right now though.

The mkIV I am looking at is from a member on here who posted in the price check section. It's not a UK model but he is obviously in the UK and it has 6 month warranty left so should be fine.

For the uses you mentioned the 70-200 would be the lens to have, irrespective of body. So for that reason alone I'd have to say the 7D + lens.

Having said that the 1D would be my camera of choice, for the shooting styles you've mentioned would you really need both 17-40 and 24-70? There's quite a bit of overlap there.

I guess I'm lucky to have both a 7D and a 1DIV and I have to say, that I still use the 7D a lot. The lighter camera often suits me better (it lives on my 70-200II) and I am very happy with the results I get. I tend to keep the 1DIV for use on long lenses on a tripod or in very poor light.

I guess I'm lucky to have both a 7D and a 1DIV and I have to say, that I still use the 7D a lot. The lighter camera often suits me better (it lives on my 70-200II) and I am very happy with the results I get. I tend to keep the 1DIV for use on long lenses on a tripod or in very poor light.
How much of a difference in IQ under normal conditions would you say there is between the two?
One thing putting me off the 7D is the noise at low ISO. On the mkIV I had I never used to do any noise reduction on ISOs less than about 1600 but on the 7D I had I found myself doing it even at ISO 100 quite a few times. I never really go above ISO 1600 so super high ISO noise is not really much of a concern.

The bottom line at the moment is that I would absolutely love another 1DmkIV BUT with me now doing more video than photography I wonder if I can really justify getting another mkIV. Having owned one everything will be a downgrade but maybe that's not such a big deal. :shrug:

In good light (except very low contrast) I think the IQ from the 7D is excellent. I regularly do A2 prints from it. If you pixel peep then you can see noise but on large prints it is fine for ISO800 and below and I will sometimes go to 1600.

The thing I love about the 7D (especially for video) is the user interface. It is the best user experience of any Canon SLR I've owned (and I reckon I've had about 13!)

Back