1DMkIIN v 40D

vectraturbo

Suspended / Banned
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
Probably been asked a million times, but my search ain't working.

Have been offered a 1DMkIIn and have a 40D at present, the 40D is fine and I don't think I will ever use the 8.5fps on the 1dmkIIn.

I know the AF system is possibly better on the 1d, but is there anything else I need to consider, before I sell either of the bodies over the other.

AF system is definitely better, weather sealing, shutter life, pro build quality, second shutter button etc in portrait orientation as standard.

The downside is the increased weight I suppose.

cheers

I am not a Canon user so I maight be wrong here but isn't the 1D a 1.3x crop? You might want to take that in to consideration. It is a plus and minus point depending on what you shoot.

It depends how much you have been offered it for as well. your lenses you have will all fit i think. if its a good price go for it, im sure if you didnt like it you would shift it no problem

I am in the same boat as well, looking to upgrade to a pro camera, and having the 40d as well.
Most of the prices for the 1D mk2 are about the same as a good s/hand 5d

Not sure which one to go for though

Bought a 1d mkii as a back up to my 40d.

The 40d is now my back up :D lol.

Controls are bit fidly compared to the 40d and the screen is useless but the AF and build are something else. Seems to have a bit more dynamic range (larger sensor ??) and noise is pretty much the same as 40d.

what is the difference with the N version?

Once you've handled a 1D series body for a bit there's no going back IMHO.

I had a IIN for a week and sold it for a 5d. It was a very nice camera, but I felt it was not really an improvement on my 30d. It has a rather obstructive menu system, not great rear screen and archaic batteries.

8fps, battleship construction and uber focus were not things that I needed. The 5d gave me enough of those and a full frame sensor (along with 12mp).

But it has a great reputation and is still an excellent camera.

Graham

Archaic batteries? They're just a lot bigger and last a lot longer than the 30D's as a result:shrug:

I prefer my 1D over my 50D even

I had a IIN for a week and sold it for a 5d. It was a very nice camera, but I felt it was not really an improvement on my 30d. It has a rather obstructive menu system, not great rear screen and archaic batteries.

8fps, battleship construction and uber focus were not things that I needed. The 5d gave me enough of those and a full frame sensor (along with 12mp).

Graham

Scarily, I get more shots out of my 50D on its toy town battery than my old 1D on its brick. Think the world's moved on...

True enough.
I certainly needed more than one battery when I had the 1DIIN and I believe that with the original 1D series you'd be lucky to get maybe 2 or 3 hundred shots. But I must say that the LP-E4 on the mark III is entirely the opposite and gives easily 2000+ shots. So much so that whilst I was considering getting a spare I've just never needed to.

I had a 1DMk2N... now I have a 5d and a 40d. Yes the 1d was a great camera and I'd love another 1 series body but it was so bleeding heavy, especially when hooked up with something like the 70-200 or 100-400! As mentioned before too, I also found the controls a bit fiddly.

Fantastic camera, knock the socks off 20D - 50D models for autofocus capability and speed, ok 8 mega pixels, but I get great A2 prints from that, ok controls get some getting use to, but easy enough, found battery life great if you properly refresh then charge the battery's, no problems with a full days shoot. Happy to have a recon 1D MkIIn from canon outlet rather than MkIII, next purchase will be more glass rather than MkIV.

Peter

My 2p
I have both the mentioned cameras and both are nice cameras.. the 40D has Live focus which is a really useful feature for night photography

the N's autofocus system leaves the 40D for dead by a long way fast and deadly accurate where the 40D is often found wanting

I bought my N brand new when it was first released and has never let me down once and have folders full of A3 prints and happily prints A2's as well

I regard the 40D as my all round camera and my N is the camera of choice for really fast action shooting which I know will never let me down

I must admit that I find the autofocus somewhat Lacking on the 40D after using my N since I got it, the difference between the 1 series camera's really is like night and day with the speed difference and amount of 'keepers' I get

the 40D is a good camera - but most people who use a pro grade sports camera wont go back to using a non 1 series for the critical fast action

but the larger screen of the 40D is nice when using the Live view mode for night shooting long exposures
cheers
Chris

Graham

Interestingly since i bought my mkIIn, my 30D has taken about 100 photos (only because my fisheye is a DC one aswell)

Honestly it blows the 30D clean out of the water.

My brand new 1DMK2n was a big disappointment for me. I loved everything about it - the build quality and fast AF system etc, not to mention it feels great. It slowly dawned on me though that I was getting far better bird images behind a long lens with the 20D. The difference in the two crop factors might not seem much , but it's very significant indeed!

Yes - the 1D will excel for action shots and BIF type shots- no argument at all about that, but that's not to suggest the XXD will be incapable in that role - it can and does, produce results, but you can't reasonably expect the same hit rate.

It really comes down to what type of photography you do and what features are most important to you, but you really need to give it a lot of thought and consideration before you make a choice, it could be a wrong one for you.

I use both bodies for motorsport and aviation, the MKIIN being the first choice. Last year at Cadwell Park for the British Superbikes I wanted just that bit more reach so put the 300 2.8 and 2x ext on the 40D. Have a look at this gallery, the bikes were cresting the hill at well over 100mph so both cameras only had a split second to focus. The 40d impressed me, if I had to pick one body only though, the MKIIN would always be my choice.

http://www.pbase.com/stuart_y/british_superbikes_cadwell_park&page=1

Back