1st attempt

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

as title- this is my 1st ever attempt at a portrait :shrug:

shot using my Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro lens ( Im a Macro man at heart)

comments welcomed, as I want to learn how to improve in this area

Model is the wifes youngest sister (18) - did consider a fill flash but thought it might loose the backlit feel

we were out looking for Bugs to shoot for my Macro album and I took this as a spur of the moment shot

F2.8 @ 1/1600 sec- ISO 100

VickyJune2011.jpg

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, good eye contact, nice background and a kind of soft glow to it. Keep going with these it's great!

Thank you Anna- I know how difficult people photos can be :bang:

Les :D

Works for me, if this is your 1st attempt i cant wait to see more as im learning the ropes aswell. (y)

Carl.

Thanks Carl- definatley my 1st portrait attempt - as I say in the original post- we were looking for Macro subject to shoot

Les (y)

One I shot in B&W

V4mono.jpg

Lovely portrait (and your model looks as if she has lovely skin as well) and the colours are beautiful. A little bit of reflection back into her face so it was better lit than her shoulder might be my only real critique - you can do this by reflecting the sunlight back in using a white shirt or something if you don't want to risk taking your flash out and losing it. I have had a quick go at trying to show what I mean. You probably cannot see much difference like this but if you use layers to drag the edit over the original and switch on and off you might see what I am getting at

LesM.jpg

PS you did ask :)

Last edited:
Yes I can see how that improves the shot- Im usually shooting insects at close range- so this is all new to me :shrug:

I have just bought a softbox for my flashgun- out again today - give it a whirl

Thank you for your comments (y)

Les ;)

Ps: less of the loosing flash comments please Ha Ha :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hi Lez,
Lovely pic, nice and clear and nice blurred background. I've not tried portraits, but read a lot on here and I can see the benefits of using a bit of off camera flash. I would say just a little light into her face to bring out her beautiful eyes and it would be perfect.
Wonderful first effort :)

Lez325 said:
Thanks Carl- definatley my 1st portrait attempt - as I say in the original post- we were looking for Macro subject to shoot

Les (y)

One I shot in B&W

Brilliant...really liking the soft glow.

Its a lovely photo, I bet she was thrilled with it.

I like the advice you have been given, I struggle with shadows on peoples faces as well, I have just bought a flash, but Im not sure how to use it.

Looks like I have to attach the flashgun with diffuser then :eek:

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated

Les (y)

up-date

Not shooting another set now,until next week, :crying: work etc

Les (y)

ps; appreciate all the comments- thanks guys ;)

As if your going to make us wait a week les, how selfish! :p

I have a few images yet to post ( same young Lady) not PP'd yet

have to wait an see Tony :wave:

Les :D:D

Lovely shot of a lovely model, (y) agree with Christine about the reflecting a bit of fill light on to her face, (I always carry one in my bag) fab colours and DOF, is this taken in one of your rapeseed fields?

Thank you Dave- No its a field full of Buttercups mate ( shot at f2.8) Oh and a few cattle loitering around in the same pasture

Ive ordered a reflector from Amazon, should help in future shoots

Les :LOL:

I ordered a white circular reflector with a small telescopic stand- should come in useful (y)

Les :D

I think you have done a good job but as said a little more light on her will make the difference yes a reflector will do it but as you said it was a grab shot so do it in PP like I have done here. Also not the back ground watch out for bright bits as your eyes get taken there.
5828091022_0ee4d98976_o.jpg

VickyJune2011.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Chaz- new to Portraits and even newer to PP- I have Photoshop CS 5- but still very much a novice at PP- so any help would be appreciated

Les (y)

well I copy it to new layer set blend to screen then added a mask and painted with 20% black to cut back some of the too bright bits, added new layer and did some painting with colours over the bright bit on the yellow and then cloned in a bit at the top right

Here is my quick go at it.
I agree that there needs to be more light on the face so as others have done I created a new layer with screen blend mode then I added a mask and painted in the areas I wanted to lighten. I then used content aware fill on the top right corner.

yrpqY.jpg

Back