1st attempts at Butterflies..

Tori

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
C&C needed please :)

One of these I am actually quite proud of. I wont say which for now. I have a few more to come, but it takes me so long to edit them(As I'm still learning Lightroom) and I'm never quite sure my editing/eye is quite right. Thanks :)

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

Cant really critique them as its not something i shoot, but the first 2 are amazing. The way in which the butterfly contrasts with its background is fantastic

Thanks Craig. I had help editing the first, the rest I did myself. I had a very good teacher today, so as a noob I'm pretty pleased today :)

I'm loving your signature by the way 'If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished! That is so me! LOL

Tori,

You already know my views on the first shot ;) It's a cracker and you should be feeling rightly proud of it. Now for the rest...

#2 - superbly caught but let down by a naff leaf.

#3 - another great capture, marred only slightly by the composition. A pity the wing got clipped. I wonder if it would work better cropping out the lower butterfly?

#4 - A shame the butterfly is looking a tad moth eaten. Have you considered rotating the image 90 degrees anti-clockwise? (transform function in LR).

I'm still editing my shots from today and will post them up in a while. In the meantime I can still smell those darn monkeys on me, so i'm off for a shower! :LOL:

Aww thanks everyone, I'm all emotional now ;-) I actually took a picture I like, and other people like too! LOL

I'll take a look at your Wisley shots Fullfast :)

Jon, I didn't even see that gammy piece of leaf. I quite liked the colouring otherwise. I tried to crop out that lower butterfly but it seemed to spoil the position of the flowers then. I'll try both. The last one I have tried horizontally as yet.

I also still have loads to wade through! I can also still smell red bellied marmosets. They stink!! LOL

Thanks Ceri :)

Aww thanks everyone, I'm all emotional now ;-) I actually took a picture I like, and other people like too! LOL

I'll take a look at your Wisley shots Fullfast :)

Jon, I didn't even see that gammy piece of leaf. I quite liked the colouring otherwise. I tried to crop out that lower butterfly but it seemed to spoil the position of the flowers then. I'll try both. The last one I have tried horizontally as yet.

I also still have loads to wade through! I can also still smell red bellied marmosets. They stink!! LOL

Thanks Ceri :)

Which was your fav then Ceri ?

A really nice set of pictures, Tori, and number 1 is really outstanding.
Where were these taken?

You've got a good set there Tori, what a difference from your first sets.

1) I really like the BG and the crop, you have just missed focus on the head though which makes it look a tad soft around the head. Because the depth of field is tiny at this aperture its better to try and get your camera parallel with the body, that way the whole of the side will be in focus. It is a nice picture though.
2) Looks much sharper, you are more or less parallel in this shot and its made a big difference along the wings and head. Maybe a slightly tighter crop but that personal choice, its my favourite of the set.
3) Same comments as number 1, the focus point is just behind the head of the top butterfly and the shallow depth of field has worked against you.
4) Is a good shot, maybe a tiny bit of sharpening but its more or less there.

Hope I am not going against the grain in my comments, but I must add that overall its a very good set and its good to see such a difference between these and your first picture. Well done (y)

Last edited:
Thanks alot :) Number one is my favourite. The white fronds behind were a palm tree leaf, which I think gave a nice effect.

Mandy, it was Tropical Wings in South Woodham Ferrers :) Well worth a visit if you don't mind stinky monkeys! ;-)

Back