1st Tripod

Name
ROSS
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone reccomend a first time tripod!! Looking for light and sturdy?!

Not too heavy on price!! I see a lot of prolpe talking about the Redsnapper range?

Cheers

Cheap - Light - Sturdy

Pick any two.

It's all a compromise - the ideal is to have a 'Sherpa' to carry the thing for you, then it doesn't matter how heavy it is !

Otherwise, you have to compromise or pay up !

However, there are plenty that will do the job.

Redsnapper has some offers on at the moment and It really is first class gear. If you buy from normal stock, you get 10% TP member discount, special offers are priced as is. You will find the link at the bottom of the 'Home Page'

I have just taken delivery of a Redsnapper 284 tripod, which is on offer at the moment for £50.

I have to say i'm really impressed with it. It's pretty solid given its size and folds down to about 49cm, which is fairly portable. It weighs about 2kg, so not that light, but you'd have to spend quite a bit more to even save 500g of weight.

Quality wise, it's brilliant, I'd recommend. Feels well made, and the free head is great too. Even comes with a nice padded bag with a padded shoulder strap.

If you don't mind one a little longer when folded down, then the 283 (3 section legs) might be slightly more sturdy.

I bought a Velbon Sherpa from Amazon can't find the link but I paid around £40 and I have a Canon D60 with Grip and flash bar and external flash hanging on it so quite a weight and it's bullet proof for my, just make sure you have quick release foot plate...

N.

Define 'Light' for us.

My idea of light = Carbon Fibre but some people find the redsnapper range light enough.

Unless you go for carbon fibre, light tends to be unstable. I just bought Redsnapper 283 which is heavier than the cheap lightweight one I have but I needed the stability that the Redsnapper gives.

Back