2 hated formats in one thread.

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a ride into Durham with the wife and 2 little ones today and we told the kids we'd take them for a look round the cathedral, woohoo I thought, I'll try some subtle HDR stuff with the stain glass windows so imagine my disappointment when the first thing I saw as I walked through the door was a "No Photography" sign :( such a shame as there were so many nice pic opportunities

So on to the 2 hated formats, I suppose hated is a bit strong, maybe I should say Marmite. I personally like both HDR and colour popping (don't like Marmite though)

HDR, pretty strong but not too over the top I think

DSC06021_2_3_fused.jpg

And colour pop, I know a subject that'll have been done to death but I've not seen a phone box for years so I just had to do it:naughty:

DSC06024.jpg

You could have tried an ironic approach by just making the phone box B&W and leaving the rest in colour. Nice composition for both.

nice snap shots, both total marmite, I dislike marmite HDR doesnt work on the first wheres the tones in the clouds, surely true HDR would have got all, or is it more than likely from one shot, HDR when done well is good

Hi Dave, the HDR was done with 3 shots but even in the under exposed shots the clouds were blown and the blue was brought back in lightroom, due to having kids in toe I wasn't wanting to be messing around with a tripod so were handheld, unfortunately on my Sony the three shot bracketed burst only varies by .7, had I had the tripod and more time I feel I would've got the detail in the clouds you speak of, oh well maybe another day.

Here is the inverted phonebox.

DSC06024-2.jpg

Still doesnt do owt for me, if the subject is the box why all the tops of the buildings and twig, I ,tried to get back to some sort of normality, still not sure I get the idea behind the shot

6289952918_2c28a779f4_b.jpg

The reverse selective colouring just looks like a phone box that's been primed ready for repainting :LOL: If I'm honest none of these really do all that much for me, I'm not that keen on the HDR treatment but to be honest the thing that put's me off the image is the fact it's been taken from ever so slightly to the side :shrug: I would have preferred to see it dead on, to me selective colouring has to be done on a very and pardon the pun selective basis, I see very few examples where I think that selective colouring really works and sorry to say this really isn't one of them, I think that for selective colouring to work the selected colour area needs to be surrounded by what are clearly strong colours also and in this scene this is not the case :shrug:

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks guys, must try harder I suppose. As said already, but not making excuses, kids in tow so more snap shots than anything else.

Back