200 Metre Race

Many thanks and a great set. I think the last one is great, all that decay and rust, not to mention what might be on the floor. That's the good and the bad in one set, well done.

Mole2k - Stunning set of images, very envious!!

Can I ask, were they taken with your Sigma 10-20?? I really must get one of these...

Eddie

Mole2k - Stunning set of images, very envious!!

Can I ask, were they taken with your Sigma 10-20?? I really must get one of these...

Eddie

Do you have anything to match?

I'm so jealous of your clouds. I never get clouds like that at home!

May we see what you do get at home, please?

God I need to move looking at some of these.

I do hope so. I am looking forward to some works of yours that are not macro. I have a feeling that you'll knock our eyes out.

Ok here's my attempt.
As you will see the area in which I live is neither salubrious, picturesque nor even rural. It is however not as bad as my shots may portray it to be.

1. An early morning shuttle
200-metre-race--shuttle.jpg

2.The West Coast Mainline looking North
200-metre-race---west-coast.jpg

3. Paul's Wall...or so he'd have us believe.
200-metre-race---wall.jpg

4. The estate where Paul probably lives
200-metre-race---estate.jpg

5. My local.. sorry, angles all over the show here.
200-metre-race---pub.jpg

Hope you like them.

Andy

Last edited:
Many thanks. I particularly like Paul, wall and estate - the B&W treatment suits them very well. These estates feel like they are B&W even when you are there. My GLW used to work in Kirkby New Town and that felt like being in a B&W movie, even if it was in living colour. I've spent many an unhappy hour on the WCML; you must have had some patience to get a shot of it empty or were they all running late as usual. My personal record is four hours from Crewe to Preston. Thanks again.

I went out at 8 am this morning so not so many choo choos about, or people come to that.

Andy

I don't have any interesting things within 200 meters, but I walked half a mile, and stayed within a 200 meter radius.

There is very little here for me as a landscape photographer, so this was a challenge!

DSC_0631-web.jpg

DSC_0641-web.jpg

DSC_0649-web.jpg

DSC_0646-web.jpg

DSC_0659-web.jpg

Interesting challenge, I was reaching a bit for anything to shoot too be honest!!!

I don't have any interesting things within 200 meters, but I walked half a mile, and stayed within a 200 meter radius.

There is very little here for me as a landscape photographer, so this was a challenge!

Interesting challenge, I was reaching a bit for anything to shoot too be honest!!!

I think the challenge was the thing, to see what was close to you and capture it. I can appreciate that taking urban images is an ask for a landscape photographer. I do like #1 which I can't put a title to and the last two with their unusual angles. The final image is a great idea with its paradox. Thanks for responding and posting the images; I do appreciate the effort.

Here is a little bit of Oulton Broad here in Suffolk. Taken this evening around 7pm. It is mainly water and boats around here:LOL:

ob1.jpg

ob2.jpg

ob3.jpg

ob4.jpg

ob5.jpg

Many thanks Richie P. Another great illustration of the diversity which makes these islands so interesting. We've had lots of different aspects from grafitti on estates to scenes of great tranquility, like these and those of mole2k. We've had inland waterways and the water that surrounds us. It's great to see what we have close to us and make it available for others to see and appreciate.

Thanks Russell, forgetting all the technical mumbo jumbo that surrounds photography at times, we are seeing on this thread a very nice pictorial
study of what is around us, both the good and bad.
Thanks for kicking this thread off and lets hope we see a few more different areas.

RP

Thanks Russell, forgetting all the technical mumbo jumbo that surrounds photography at times, we are seeing on this thread a very nice pictorial study of what is around us, both the good and bad.
Thanks for kicking this thread off and lets hope we see a few more different areas.

RP

I am hoping that we are going to get some more images. I don't need thanking as I am enjoying what I see as the diverse images arrive. I did forget to mention that we have contributions from overseas too which shows the spread of membership. I am most impressed.

I was hoping to get out today,but 5 shots of fog or heavy rain won't paint my locale in a very flattering light...here's hoping for better things in September:LOL:

I was hoping to get out today,but 5 shots of fog or heavy rain won't paint my locale in a very flattering light...here's hoping for better things in September:LOL:

Thanks for letting us know. There is no hurry. Perhaps this building of suspense will stimulate our palates. Hunger is the best cook, and all that.

Like your idea RH. I'm very suburban but will have a go tomorrow. A challenge for me which I do need at the moment.

Whats 200 metres in old money by the way!! LOL

Like your idea RH. I'm very suburban but will have a go tomorrow. A challenge for me which I do need at the moment.

Whats 200 metres in old money by the way!! LOL

About a furlong for the racing man in me or 220 yards for those that remember Peter Radford. It's not really my idea, I am just providing the energy to make it happen. Suburban or Gobi Desert does not matter, just get what's close to where you live.

Ditto. some sunshine forecast for tomorrow so fingers crossed we can increase this thread even more. Once again Russell, great idea! (y)

Well done, I hope the weather picks up so we can some more interesting localities. The credit for the thread goes to the participants who have supported the idea with their time and creativity.

Thanks for letting us know. There is no hurry. Perhaps this building of suspense will stimulate our palates. Hunger is the best cook, and all that.

I wouldn't get your hopes up Russell :LOL:

OK, here are mine. I had actually forgotten about the little park at the bottom of the road as we very rarely go that way and there isn't that much there.

#1 - Little Boxes

DSC02752.jpg

#2 - Dumped in the brook! :(

DSC02753.jpg

#3 - And again!:(:(

DSC02754.jpg

#4 - Bridge over said brook

DSC02757.jpg

#5 - Miniature railway

DSC02756.jpg

OK, here are mine. I had actually forgotten about the little park at the bottom of the road as we very rarely go that way and there isn't that much there.

Many thanks. It just goes to show what's there when you look. Little boxes, little boxes, all made out of ticky tacky. I am sure Pete Seeger sang that sometime in the 60s, and almost 50 years later we've still got them and are building more, until recently. Brooks with people's rubbish (sad) and a bridge. The miniature railway is unusual. Great effort - thanks.

Many thanks. It just goes to show what's there when you look. Little boxes, little boxes, all made out of ticky tacky. I am sure Pete Seeger sang that sometime in the 60s, and almost 50 years later we've still got them and are building more, until recently. Brooks with people's rubbish (sad) and a bridge. The miniature railway is unusual. Great effort - thanks.

Thanks Russell. That song was exactly what I was thinking of when I took the photo, probably because I heard it on the radio the other day. It did prompt one question at the time, What is Ticky Tacky?:thinking::shrug::D

Thanks Russell. That song was exactly what I was thinking of when I took the photo, probably because I heard it on the radio the other day. It did prompt one question at the time, What is Ticky Tacky?:thinking::shrug::D

I wish I knew. I have a feeling that Pete Seeger meant plasterboard and wood. He was singing of the USA and housing there is not built with the same sense of permanence that we used to do here. Pete wrote some great songs. Thanks again for the effort and the images.

A great idea Russell. Unfortunately I live on a modern housing development, so the only thing within 200 metres of my house are other houses that look like mine!

Doesn't mean there's nothing to photograph! :)

Many thanks to all who have contributed images:
POSTIE22 - Cheshire
mole2k - Northern Ireland
neilmac - Valencia
JeanieW - Folkestone
Andysnap - Crewe
Puddleduck - Cambridge
RichieP - Oulton Broad, Suffolk
fabs - Bedfordshire.

Many thanks to all the other members who commented. Great effort from you all.

A late entry.

All taken today.

No such thing as a late entry on this thread. Every one is bang on time. You do live in a beautiful place, these are great and I am envious having been a townie all my life. Many thanks for making the effort and welcome.

My suggestion is as follows. Walk in the direction of the football stadium, counting the paces as you go. When you reach 200 make a note of where you are. Then go the footie stadium and take the images you want. On the way back, when you have reached the 200 mark from the outward journey start taking images until you reach home. Then post the footie stadium pictures to a thread of their own and the homeward bound images to this thread. That'll work, sort of.

Who is a clever tog (y) (Sorry about the patronization)

I will do that when I have uploaded CS2 back on my machine.

Who is a clever tog (y) (Sorry about the patronization)

I will do that when I have uploaded CS2 back on my machine.

When I was thinking about this, I decided that I wanted to include the library. So I paced it out from my house and discovered it was 200 paces, thus the 200 metre race. I look forward to your images.

Finally caught a break in the rain...

IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

It may not be pretty,but it's home and we love it :D

Many thanks for your contribution and a bit of Sun. I think that alley is a great shot, as is the cycle shop. Some interesting insights into a city about which some people have bad things to say. The church and school all speak to the great use of that coloured stone.

Back