2000th Post and need ID of new kids on the block

Edit My Images
Yes
Goldyellow.jpg

New little yellow pair arrived this afternoon - smaller than the greenfinches and can't make my mind up if Yellow Hammer or Siskin although more in colour like the rare Serin
Yellowheadin.jpg

Yellside.jpg

Yellowdrop.jpg

Oops - dropped it!
Yellowback.jpg

Range of mug and wump shots to assist the experts
Whatever they a pair is good news​

No idea on the ID, sorry but a nice set for your 2K (y)

I am going to go for Siskins, dont think the wing pattern is right for serin's or Yellowhammer (y)

That was my thought but a fair way from any pine forests - nearest are Thetford Chase or Brandon Forest 15-20 miles. I thought these were more Northern than the Fens.

Would say certainly a Siskin, been reported a lot have arrived from Europe because of poor numbers of cones.

My Hamlin guide says Siskin due to the black cap & beard whereas Serin has lighter cap and no beard.

Now you have reminded me - I read that in the EDP's Nature Diary - an East Anglian daily paper. Thanks everyone - I knew there were experts out there and the books aren't always as clear as the pictures you lot post on the Forum. Now if it was green I know who would have been the first to reply!

Definitely Siskins ... (y) ... and you have both sexes in your pics too ... ;)

We have been getting up to a dozen in since January and they are still feeding here all day long ... :D

Unfortunately found a stiff female on the decking when I got back with the dog this afternoon ... :shrug: ... another victim of a collision with our french doors ... :eek:

Bloody french ... :cautious:

:p

Thanks - It was the female seen first and I thought it could have been the yellowhammer- markings more distinct on the male. A demonstration of the expertise here on the Forum as usual help always at hand!

Siskins had a pair land on the feeder 2 weeks ago, never stopped long.
Nice set and well done on your 2000th post (y)

Looks like we might be getting more Siskin in our gardens. From the RPSB website:

"Numbers of colourful finches visiting UK gardens over winter are at their highest levels for five years.

For the first time in the survey's 29-year history, the striking siskin made it into the top 20, and the scarcer brambling moved from 57 to 36 in the rankings.

This increase in bramblings and siskins (up by two thirds in the last five years), suggest that tree seed supplies have been poor this year and they've been forced into gardens to find food.

Along with siskin and brambling increases, redpoll numbers skyrocketed, being seen in twice as many gardens this year as last. Again this is probably due to poor supply of food."

As well as sunflower hearts, siskins & goldfinches are very partial to nyjer seed. It requires a dedicated feeder though as the seed is so small.

I finally got round to replacing a broken one last week & within a few days had goldfinches & siskins fighting over the six perches!

Back