21ST-25TH JUL: Hot Blade 14

Name
Lloyd Horgan
Edit My Images
Yes
I was lucky enough to join 751 Squadron for the duration of the Hot Blade exercise once again based at Ovar for its third year, organised by the European Defence Agency (EDA) and part of the Helicopter Exercise Program (HEP). An extremely tiring week filled with fantastic photo opportunities, again 751 Squadron were fantastic, nothing was too much for them and allowed me a lot of time to get the images. Being a civilian on a military ex had its restrictions, I was confined to flying only with 751 - not that I'm complaining. As with a lot of things not everything went to plan, after we had conducting ground contact training on Tuesday at Sao Jacinto we were sat on the runway when the LH windscreen cracked with a second crack slowly forming as well which put pay to the air to airs we had planned on the Wednesday. I'll be back out to Montijo again at some point this year/early next year to shoot some air to airs though, so not all is lost.
It was another first for me as I was out there covering the ex for Vertical magazine, the article will be in their Vertical911 September issue.

Anyway on with the shots..

1. 201 Squadron Falcões F-16AM. These were providing close air support (CAS), clearing out landing zones & flying as the main threat in evasion sorties against rotary elements. This was shot at 1/10th handheld..
201 Squadron Falcões F-16AM by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

2. AW101 Merlin cockpit as we conduct ground contact training at Seia.
751 Squadron AW101 Merlin Cockpit by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

3. Top down view of a RNLAF CH-47D Chinook over the sea.
RNLAF Chinook CH-47D by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

4. UPF solider gripping a spare mag as we fly out to the landing zone for a medevac mission.
Focused by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

5. Three HEER (German Army) UH-1D Hueys recovering back to Ovar.
HEER UH-1Ds by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

6. 751 Squadron AW101 Merlins with the lead cab having just returned from a night mission.
751 Squadron AW101 Merlins by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

7. Looking in to the cockpit as its bathed in NVG friendly lights..
Night Vision by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

8. AW101 Merlin in the 'bird bath'
Esquadra 751 EH101 Merlin by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

9. AW101 Merlin departing Ovar for a night mission, shot at 1/10th handheld..
751 Squadron 'Pumas' EH101 Merlin by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

10. Crewman looking out for the F-16AM we were flying a 1v1 evasion sortie against..
Lookout by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

11. Mixed formation of a Puma HC2, UH-1D Huey and AB212.
230 Squadron Puma HC2 & HEER UH-1D & BundesHeer AB212 by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

12. Two Puma HC2s and a RNLAF CH-47D recovering back to Ovar.
RAF Puma HC2s & RNLAF CH-47D by lloydh.co.uk, on Flickr

Some cracking moody shots there Lloyd- I particularly like 10. 16 makes me feel unwell though!

Superb Lloyd, I love the merlin getting a bath and think the 2 portraits of the soldier and crewman are very thought provoking.

What a set! All fantastic Lloyd.

:plus1:

Different angles that we'd never see, colours, action the works.

No's 4 and 10 are my favourite's by a long way. They really convey the message and either waiting for the action, or contemplating what's just gone on.

Holy crap - they are some awesome pics
Some of the best I have seen in my time on here

Well done and thanks for sharing

Back