2nd shoot with home studio

Edit My Images
Yes
Took some shots of a local singer/songwriter using my portable studio kit.

All feedback, tips to improve would be appreciated.

3376910194_36373742bf.jpg

3376085031_e725948d76.jpg

3376076689_f8d637c92b.jpg

3376058997_10a9d4f282.jpg

3376872342_2e86e7da72.jpg

3376868700_6d929696c6.jpg

3376882406_852aa62609.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dave

not bad mate . BUT i am not keen on the background.. " i know i know" i seem to say this all the time but for me the 1st shot for example. the b/g has a blue ish cast on all of it .. if you where after a white b/g you needed to light it alot more.. the subject looks well exposed to me but the b/g is spoiling these shots for me..

you can do abit in ps on some i know i have just try'd on the 1st ;)

just my thouhgts mate feel free to ignore:D

md(y)

not bad mate . BUT i am not keen on the background.. " i know i know" i seem to say this all the time but for me the 1st shot for example. the b/g has a blue ish cast on all of it .. if you where after a white b/g you needed to light it alot more.. the subject looks well exposed to me but the b/g is spoiling these shots for me..

you can do abit in ps on some i know i have just try'd on the 1st ;)

just my thouhgts mate feel free to ignore:D

md(y)

Thanks for that mate, I did try to overexpose the background in photoshop, wasn't sure if it looked a bit funny when it was too white, like this one...

3376891710_f7f09b30bc.jpg

Would the best thing be a third head to light the background?

Dave

without trying to spend your money for you mate.... yes

i have three lights and two are just for the background...!!

here is my quickie on the 1st shot :shrug:

carlukedave.jpg

if you could get another one at some time it would benifit you alot

md(y)

thoght you might have had a few more comments on these matey :shrug:

have a free bump..

md(y)

Never done any studio stuff yet, so difficult to provide critique...... out of the set I prefer 4,5 & 7, but feel like you need a little more light coming from the left for 4 & 5 I guess even a reflector would have sufficed.

In 7 it was a shame he didn't give a little smile, he comes across as cold in comparison to his partner.

Hope this helps.. Lee :)

Well if MD's playing, I want to too ;)

I don't mind the first image at all, the background not being white is fine by me (unless it's supposed to be white!)

I'm more bothered by the apparent two front lights that were used, and their rather odd shadows resulting

#3 is the worst for lighting IMO, but the others are fine - so long as you didn't want them to be white. Adults are often better suited to a non-white background IMO too, so before spending more money to get 2 on the background (which MD says is a requirement really for true white) isn't necessary unless you really want to shoot kids and for canvasses too

I had a quick play after removing all of the background the easy way, then mucked about for no reason whatsoever :LOL:

HTH

DD

Carlukedave1.jpg

I really liked some of the poses in this set. I don't have a problem with non white BG, as has already been said, sometimes it can be too much. The main thing is to stop it looking mucky and I think you've achieved that to a great extent. In the picture of the couple, it would have been nice if he'd dropped his guard for a moment and smiled..........she would certainly have thanked him for it i suspect!
The mono is nice and moody, but just have a check on your tones (levels or curves) as it looks a little flat to me.
In 4 and 5, you would do well to place a reflector below the front of the subject and a little to the left. This would provide some fill light to the eye sockets and reduce the shadow contrast to provide some detail. Unfortunately, in 4, his eye socket is completely devoid of light and this makes it look as if there is no eye, if you know what I mean.

If on the other hand, you wanted to achieve a half face in shadow effect, then you may want to move the light further round to the side to achieve this.

Looking at the catchlights and the subject lighting, it appears the lights were quite high and if you were to lower them a tad, you will immediately reduce the shadows in the eye sockets that way too.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and hope you don't mind my comments.

Trying to get the overexposed white background technique in the camera using two lights is not easy, I use the same set up, but it can be done.

I like No.s 1 and 5 best, probably because of the poses...

Thanks very much for all the comments, they are all appreciated.

I figured that it's better getting the lights and learning, very much trial and error just now. Hopefully with the advice given i'll see an improvement in my photos with each shoot.

Cheers

Dave

Back