2x , 1.4x Digital Teleconverter Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a 2x teleconverter lens for my AE-1 camera many years ago. Though it did increase the range of my lens, I was not pleased with the results. The image quality was not up to par (grainy and not near as sharp) with any of my lens before using the 2x. I now have a Sony 100 and a 400 mm lens. Are the new converters better, and are the results going to be as good as the results from the lens it will be adding distance to?

Somebody? I'd appreciate it.

tele converters are way better than the days of the ae-1 but you still need to do your home work some are better than others you should be able to get a tele/c specific to that lens which will probably cost a fair wack there are cheaper options but you"ll know you bought Cheap if you buy one hth mike also are you aware of the f8 limitation on some (for auto focus)

Teleconverter are intended to primarily be used with the fast prime lenses because they can handle the deduction in autofocus performance and loss of f-stops, however, TCs are being used on a variety of lenses, especially the 3rd party TCs which don't talk to the camera, but if you do get a 2x TC, remember you'll need good light to get the best out of your images because you lose 2 f-stops of light, your f4 lens becomes an f8

Words of advice is check to see if your lenses are compatible, not all lenses are.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/teleconverters.asp

I'm not sure on Sony lenses, but if their the older ones, I have found it's best to use multi coated 7 element TC's, they usually have the designation of MC7 to identify. I am currently using a x2 Tamron SP teleconverter with my Tokina ATX f4 lens and in good light there's little loss in the IQ department. I'm using it on a Fuji XT1 camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for Yall's answers. You have been a great help, I guess I need a little more research to find the right one. I wou;ld only use t on my 400mm and 50 macro. Hopefully it will be easy to change between the two.

Remember to keep those shutter speeds up a 400mm with 2x comes out around 800mm on full frame and 1200 on a crop sensor body,
so you will need to push up the iso to get a high enough shutter speed which I turn may increase the noise/grain in the image.

Back