2X converter info please

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro and i love the lens , however i want the extra mm without spending on another lens. Would a 2X converter be enough? , does it go on the camera then the sigma on the converter?

What sort of price would i be looking at and which one should i get?

I'm a converter virgin :LOL:

What are you planning to use it to shoot? Assuming you can get a 2x tc to fit your lens it will result in very dark viewfinder and no autofocus....

What are the converters for then? , are they for zooming in close objects like insects?

Is it Extenders that i'm looking for?

Teleconverters are for extending the reach of lenses, but you really need to be starting with a lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture to get the best out of the combination.

As mentioned, there are no free lunches with TCons. Even if something like a Kenko TCon will fit, the results will be mediocre and you will have no AF. Plus trying to MF at long distance will be very difficult. Sorry, but if you need longer and anything like decent results you will need to buy a new lens.

A teleconverter, or Extender as Canon calls them, is a cheap and convneient fix when you need more reach. Rarely is it the first choice compared to a a longer lens of the same focal length.

They simply magnify the centre of the lens image, inevitably losing light as they do so - one stop for 1.4x and two stops for 2x. This often takes you beyond the threshold for AF to work, usually f/5.6 on crop cameras. In magnifying the image, if the mother lens is not of the highest quality, they just magnify any shortcomings too much. They also don't work well with short focal length lenses, due to the way the light cone hits them, which means 200mm or longer.

A few zooms are good enough to take one, such as Canon L, but they only work decently with long primes, like 300mm f/2.8 for example, or 600mm f/4. Even then, the light loss often rules them out in practise.

Of course, TCs introduce their own optical problems and apart from the Canon and Nikon ones, only the Kenko Pro models have a good reputation. Sigma have a good rep, too. Canon and Nikon TCs also have protruding front elements so they won't actually fit a lot of lenses.

With your lens, frankly the image quality won't be up to much at all. And that is if you can live with the dark viewfinder, a high f/number, and loss of AF.

As do the Sigma ones.

Yes, sorry Mike, I guess they do a bit :)

The point here is that if you are mixing and matching lenses and TCs then you need to check the fitting very carefully.

Yes, be sure to check out the lens/converter compatibility issues.
TC's tend to work better with prime lenses rather than zooms.
They are a compromise.

I was looking at Kenko 2x Teleconverter MC4 DG.

But as I've read the results are poor.

My lens is the kit 55-200mm DX, struggling with aperture anyway, so with one less stop will be pointless I think.

Started taking motorsport, found the autofocus too slow really, especially at 200mm and unless it's a bright day pushing the iso to 800 just get something not underexposed.

I guess ultimately if you want quality you need to pay the money!

Unfortunately any lenses that will autofocus on the d40 are pretty new and therefore expensive/

Back