3 shots of my nephew, 2 b+w's 1 colour

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
No
Did my first paid shoot last weekend albeit for my sister in law. Thought I'd post some of the shots that I was most happy with for some critique as people photography isn't really my thing and I'm keen to hear other's opinions on them. This is my nephew Innes, he's a bit of a handful at times but I wouldn't change him for anything. Taken a few shots of him over the past 21 months since he was born but this time proved to be trickier now that he's developed the ability to run like the clappers away from anything with a lens attached, lol. Any comments or criticisms are greatly appreciated as always and thanks for looking :)

me and my car by smfcfan, on Flickr

Innes by smfcfan, on Flickr

the innocence of youth by smfcfan, on Flickr

I like the monochrome shots mainly because there's nothing too distracting in them.
The position of the car and Innes being off centre works for me in the first shot. The lack of eye contact is okay here I think but it's a pity that the focus seems to be more on the detail in the clothing and the wallpaper rather than your nephews face. That said, it's still a nice timeless image.

Not keen on the second shot purely because there's too much going on in the background.

The last picture has great eye contact and (I imagine) has caught a lot of his character. If it was my photo I might be inclined to crop some of the right and bottom to loose the cushion in the bg and some of the dungerees.
:)

Thanks for the comments Loopy and sorry it's taken me so long to get back here, been having internet problems lately but hopefully they're sorted now.

I'm not entirely sure what happened with the focus in the first shot, they were all shot with the nifty fifty and if I remember right it was wide open or as near as dammit to it. Maybe I just missed the face for focus or maybe he moved, he's a typical toddler, always on the move :)

I know what you mean about the clutter in the background with the 2nd shot, it kinda bugs me too but I love the expression on his face and his pose in this one (he was caught messing around with the cable box and dvd player...again). That "it wasn't me, I'm innocent" look that only a child can pull off, lol.

The 3rd shot is probably my favourite from the whole set that I got that day and it was crying out for the mono conversion. I take your point about probably needing a bit of a crop though, the bit of hand at the bottom corner is a bit of a distraction.

Thanks again for the feedback :)

The nifty has pretty poor focus accuracy in low light and is soft wide open. I'd stick to f2.2 in future, but you're going to struggle a bit with the iso performance of the 450D. Do you have a flashgun? A little bounced flash up behind you into the room would help with exposure and sharpness.

Thanks for the advice Dean. I really wasn't that sure what my aperture setting was when I commented last night but it turns out after checking the exif data that it was at f8 for the first shot.

I know what you mean about the nifty's poor focussing in low light though and tbh the light in the room at the time wasn't great so it might just be a case of missed focus on my behalf (or the lens...yeah, I'll blame the lens, lol).

I should probably have said in my OP that all the shots were taken using a 580exII in a 24 inch softbox with me just having to rotate it on the stand for each shot since he doesn't stay at peace. It was positioned in this one to try to get a natural light through a window type of feel to it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Back