300f4 LENS FOR AIR SHOWS

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been getting advice on airshows and often see that people use an 300f4 nikon lens. How does this compare with a 70-300 as I was thinking of getting the 300 prime. I have a D300:bang:

I've never used the 300 f/4; but it is far superior, sharper and a lot faster to focus, lens. Also, it can happily take the 1.4 tele-converter; and even with the 1.7 tele. it still maintains sharpness.

The only downside, when compared to the 70-300VR, is the lack of VR .. so, you will need to learn how to hand-hold it and watch your shutter speed.

In all fairness, I don't think it is a fair comparison ( 300 f/4 vs. 70-300VR). They are two very different bits of kit.

at sunderland airshow i didnt find 300 mm enough even on a 1.6 crop body , but i most certainly appreciated the zoom , especially for the red arrows finale and the larger aircraft (y)

You'll find that the Nikkor 300 F/4 AF-S will spank most lenses (any zoom) - if you ask a Nikon user you'll find out that there's only one better telephoto lens in the world, the Nikkor 300 F/2.8 AF-S :D

I use the 300 AF-S for all my aviation work and I have to say that I've been very happy with it, very sharp and very contrasty, I love the detail that it can produce. I agree that sometimes 300mm can be a little bit short for airshows but anything over 300mm starts to get *Very* expensive. The 300 F/4 will take a 1.4TC quite happily, I use the Kenko one and get good results:

This shot and this shot were both taken using the 300 + kenko 1.4TC

In all fairness, I don't think it is a fair comparison ( 300 f/4 vs. 70-300VR). They are two very different bits of kit.

Yup - can't argue there. If you don't want to compromise on IQ but can't afford the 300 F/2.8 then the 300 F/4 is the muts nuts, however primes can be very restricting and can also leave a big gap in your coverage. Zooming with your feet, panning and learning how to pick your shots all become important factors.

Hope this helps :clap:

Yes that helps. Will the TC1.7 work with the 300f4. I also have the 70-200f2.8 :bang:

I believe it will but you might find the AF struggling a bit on all but the brightest of days

I've been considering this lens 300 afs (presently trying to save up the cash), however I have not seen anywhere selling this lens (where they have them in stock).

Where did you get yours?

Haven't got the 300f4 yet but Grays of Westminster have it(y)

I've maybe mentioned this before, but which is likely to be the better bet, tne70-200 f2.8 with 1.7TC or the 70-300 VR. Have both these lenses and will have to think seriously about the 300f4 whether or not there is any advantage:bang::bonk:

Sorry, the nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR (£1500 quids worth!!!!):confused:
Thanks for asking

It depends what you want to do really, I'd expect the 70-200 F/2.8 to out perform the 70-300 in every aspect even when taking the TC into account but its not going to be the same as using a prime, particularly when looking at edge sharpness, CA and AF performance.

The OP mentioned your interested in airshows, the 70-200 would be nice for the reds but for single aircraft your most likely going to want to be over the 400mm mark which means using a 300 and a TC - you could possibly look at the 70-200 + 2xTC but thats not a great combo really - teleconverters and zooms dont mix (y)

I had the 70-200VR, and frankly I wouldn't pair it with a 2x TC even if it was my only choice. It's just far too soft with that combination.

So hyakuhei what are you suggesting--- the nikon 300f4 plus which TC? Is my present 1.7TC OK to use or did I hear someone say Kenko?:bonk::bang:

That would be a good start Merv, the 300 F/4 holds it value very well so you can always change it later.

The 1.7TC will be fine, I only have a 1.4 kenko and I'm happy with its performance. You'll get a bit more magnification with the 1.7 but you'll loose some light and I'd expect that the AF would slow a little too but I'd imagine it to be a very usable combination for the summer months.

There's no reason to pick Kenko over Nikon other than the price difference, if I could afford it I've had got the Nikon but the Kenko is very good so I'm quite happy to keep it.

I also have the Kenko 1.4 with the 300 AF-S, it is fine:)

Back