30mm ish Lens?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Like most of you I own (or have owned) a 50mm 1.8 but as I use this on a cropped Canon 650D I'm finding it too narrow, but loving playing with the 1.8 aperture.

So I've decided to buy something for use around the 30 to 35 mm range.

I've seen the new Sigma Art range which have great reviews, but are expensive (worth it?) and also seen the new Sigma 18-35 which appears to be the same price as the fixed ones but has the zoom advantage. Then theirs the Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX DC HSM? How's does this compare?

And then there's the Canon ones!
Is the 40mm 2.8 a cheap alternative or one to stay clear of?

I'd really appreciate any help and advice on which way to go and the advantages / disadvantages.

Thanks

I have a friend who recently went through the same dilemma. she opted for the Sigma new 30mm Art lens after reading reviews and trying a couple of different lenses out in shops.

As for the new 18-35 f1.8 from Sigma, all I can say is that the reviews have given the lens a very positive writeup.

I am looking for a lens in this range and was going for the Sigma 24mm f1.8 macro after borrowing one for a couple of weeks. Now I am going to get the 18-35 f1.8 when funds allow

Canon 35mm f/2 (the mk1 or the IS equipped mk2) are both stunning.

Personally, I have the mk1, and although it doesnt have USM or IS, its so sharp, even at f/2. Its one of my favourite lenses. I picked up my barely used lens (which I bought used in 2010, the lens number confirmed it was built that year!) for only £150.

I also fancy a sigma 30mm to go with my sigma 50mm.

Ideally though i want the older style / finish as i dont really like the new plastic they use.

A

I had the old Sigma 30mm f1.4 and thought it gave great image quality. The only negatives for me are that it's a bit chunky and the focus ring feels a bit gritty when focusing manually. Other than that it's a good lens IMHO.

I always remember this shot, dogs on the beach :D taken at f1.4.

Last edited:
I also fancy a sigma 30mm to go with my sigma 50mm.

Ideally though i want the older style / finish as i dont really like the new plastic they use.

A

I understand and the old one quiet cheaper second hand. But the new one does feel really well built, I don't know if you have seen one but it's a quiet nice lens.

Also the old one has quiet a lot of bad review considering some bad copy and on all of them have a gritty focussing ring. This is why I went for the newer version.

I think there are 3 versions are there not?

The matt black 30mm - the one i like
the semi matt 30 mm
the new art 30mm?

Thanks for the replies and comments. It's given me more of an idea what I'm looking for. I'm also thinking of popping along to Bright Lights at the end of the month to see what others are using.

Back