30mm Sigma 1.4 vs 50mm Sigma 1.4

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
I recently posted on the forum regarding my photography equipement and what to take away with me.

Im caught between lenses and would love some reccomendations:

Sigma 30mm lens or Sigma 50mm lens.

I already have a Sigma 10 - 20mm Wide angle on my Canon 700d.

Thoughts? Other alternatives?

Darren

Hi all.
I recently posted on the forum regarding my photography equipement and what to take away with me.

Im caught between lenses and would love some reccomendations:

Sigma 30mm lens or Sigma 50mm lens.

I already have a Sigma 10 - 20mm Wide angle on my Canon 700d.

Thoughts? Other alternatives?

Darren

I used a Sigma 30mm f1.4 on my 20D and only sold it when I moved to a 5D on which I use a Sigma 50mm f1.4.

I'd say that they are both very good lenses. My 30mm was sharp at f1.4 and was a quite lovely thing to use and the only negative thing I can say about it is that mine had a slightly gritty feeling focus ring but I think that's just how they feel as I tried another at the dealers and it was just the same.

I've read on some forums that the 30mm suffers from field curvature but in all honesty it was never ever an issue for me. Bench tests and real world shooting are very different things :D and personally I think that reports of field curvature can (very probably) be ignored :D

I suppose therefore it really depends upon the field of view you like. If you like a 50mm equiv FoV on your APS-C camera then the 30mm is quite obviously the one to go for but if you prefer an equiv FoV of 80mm then the 50mm is the one to go for.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either lens and both are much better than a f2.8 zoom IMVHO :D

The wide angle zoom is quite wide: would it be affordable to pick up a 30mm f1.4 + an older FF 50mm f1.8? That way you can cover standard lens and have a mild telephoto/portrait lens too.

If I were buying gear for a trip then I'd want the 50 because there are times when there is no substitute for a little reach to allow distance between you & the subject.

I used a Sigma 30mm f1.4 on my 20D and only sold it when I moved to a 5D on which I use a Sigma 50mm f1.4.

I'd say that they are both very good lenses. My 30mm was sharp at f1.4 and was a quite lovely thing to use and the only negative thing I can say about it is that mine had a slightly gritty feeling focus ring but I think that's just how they feel as I tried another at the dealers and it was just the same.

I've read on some forums that the 30mm suffers from field curvature but in all honesty it was never ever an issue for me. Bench tests and real world shooting are very different things :D and personally I think that reports of field curvature can (very probably) be ignored :D

I suppose therefore it really depends upon the field of view you like. If you like a 50mm equiv FoV on your APS-C camera then the 30mm is quite obviously the one to go for but if you prefer an equiv FoV of 80mm then the 50mm is the one to go for.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either lens and both are much better than a f2.8 zoom IMVHO :D

Thanks for the advice.

I suppose the kind of shooting i will be doing is general street photography. Street markets, buildings, people etc.
I just thought with the slightly wider lens the 30mm gives, it would be more benefical then say a 50mm!

The wide angle zoom is quite wide: would it be affordable to pick up a 30mm f1.4 + an older FF 50mm f1.8? That way you can cover standard lens and have a mild telephoto/portrait lens too.

If I were buying gear for a trip then I'd want the 50 because there are times when there is no substitute for a little reach to allow distance between you & the subject.

I already have the Canon 50mm 1.8.

So i assume i have answered my own question?? haha!

I already have the Canon 50mm 1.8.

So i assume i have answered my own question?? haha!

Yup. Looks like the 30mm is the one to get :D

The Sigma 50mm f1.4 is a lovely lens and I'd argue that from what I've seen on line it's better than the Canon 50mm f1.8 in that it renders the oof areas better (IMVHO) and I am very happy with my Siggy but exposure wise I personally don't think that the difference between f1.4 and f1.8 amounts to anything.

Back