32 Bit sunsets

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Been trying a different style of PP for some of my Scotland images.

these are 32 Bit files edited in LR4. Hope you likey (y)

32_Bit_sunset_series_1_of_3_.jpg

32_Bit_sunset_series_3_of_3_.jpg

32_Bit_sunset_series_2_of_3_.jpg

I like #1 and #2, they are good landscape shots. Not as sure on the colours in #3 through, they lack a slight pop?

#1 is very tranquil :)

Those are stunning! Not used LR4 myself yet, is this HDR or something totally different?

Number 2 is my favourite.

Yes, i do likey! What is a 32 bit file?
Really like all 3, some stunning scenery there.

Phil

phil_b said:
Yes, i do likey! What is a 32 bit file?
Really like all 3, some stunning scenery there.

Phil

Not sure what the technical jargon is but basically a normal jpeg file is 8 bit with a tiff being a larger file at 16 bit.
This is a 32 bit file so holds much more information and therefore contains a greater dynamic range than a standard jpeg file.

LR4 is now capable of processing 32 bit files and the results are like developing a raw file with much greater dynamic range so I can bring out the details in both the shadows and the highlights :)

I love the first image, but the buoy to the right really draws my eye.
I'd still hang it though...it's lovely.

Last edited:
beautiful!

how did you combine 8 shots for #1 if the water has ripples? and did the water calm down on the 2nd and 3rd shot?

I assume you had 1 RAW file and used different levels of exposure to create the 8 files?

What offset did you give each of them? so eg:

-4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3

Or did you go lower than 1 each? I hope that makes sense!

These look fantastic!

beautiful!

how did you combine 8 shots for #1 if the water has ripples? and did the water calm down on the 2nd and 3rd shot?

Yes the water calmed a little for the last two shots.

I assume you had 1 RAW file and used different levels of exposure to create the 8 files?

What offset did you give each of them? so eg:

-4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3

Or did you go lower than 1 each? I hope that makes sense!

These look fantastic!

These are actually 8 individual Raw files combined using Photoshop Merge to HDR Pro. I havnt used 8 versions of one raw file.
Photoshop has an excellent remove ghosts feature which makes combining images with a little movement much easier.(y)

Great shots, very well exposed and good compositions.

I'm puzzled by the term 32 bit though, perhaps you can enlighten me.

Your camera can't capture in 32 bit, so where does the extra information come from? Also when you export a jpeg it is 8 bit, so the benefit you had will be removed.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

When I import the 8 Raw files into Photoshop Merge to HDR Pro there is an oprion there to create a 32 Bit file. This holds far more dynamic range than a standalone Raw file. And thanks to LR4 new feature it can now develop this 32 Bit file like a conventional raw file. Obviously the exported JPG will be 8Bit but it'll hold far more detail in the highlights and the shadows due to the higher dynamic range of the original 32 bit file.

Not sure if all that waffle makes sense :D

Absolutely stunning landscapes captured beautifully...off to buy LR4 now.

Beautiful shots but still struggling with the bit-math :D

If you import 14-bit RAW files from the camera and save them as 32-bit files, surely they are still 14-bit files?

Beautiful shots but still struggling with the bit-math :D

If you import 14-bit RAW files from the camera and save them as 32-bit files, surely they are still 14-bit files?

Nor sure how it does it but the new feature in PS6 can create 32 Bit images using several blended 14 bit raw files

1 and 2 are stunning shots - particularly the second one....love the contrast between the reflections of the sky with the rocks under the water in the foreground.

The way you've captured the light and colour in the first shot is almost like 'being there'. Nice work (y)

Interesting processing that is. It certainly doesn't look bad like the typical HDRs probably because they aren't tonemapped. I can see it would be a difficult exposure with conventional filters.

The composition is best in no2. It could do with a slight crop from the bottom, but it's a cracking shot nevertheless.

Back