3rd Footy Attempt - How did i do?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Herewith my 3rd effort of football shots from this Sundays
match from Elms Vale in Dover.

Im not worried too much for comments regarding the quality (still working on that)
but would appreciate comments on the composition.

1. Handbags at 10 paces
2008-12-14-Footy-9.jpg

2. C'mon then!
2008-12-14-Footy-8.jpg

2008-12-14-Footy-6.jpg

2008-12-14-Footy-5.jpg

2008-12-14-Footy-4.jpg

2008-12-14-Footy-2.jpg

2008-12-14-Footy-1.jpg

Right. I can see some improvement here. You've got an eye for the action and the composition isn't all that bad at all. You've cropped in onto the play.

Unfortunately they are all a bit blurred. Get that camera out of action mode and into Shutter or Aperture priority. You were struggling with the light today and the camera was choosing shutter speeds of 1/200 @ f/5.6 ISO400. You really need to push the shutter speed up a tad more - at ISO800 you would have got 1/400 which would have sorted out some of the blur perhaps.

They all look a bit soft to me.

Might be my monitor though.......

Thanks but i wasnt worried about the quality at the moment just
the composition (y)

Right. I can see some improvement here. You've got an eye for the action and the composition isn't all that bad at all. You've cropped in onto the play.

Unfortunately they are all a bit blurred. Get that camera out of action mode and into Shutter or Aperture priority. You were struggling with the light today and the camera was choosing shutter speeds of 1/200 @ f/5.6 ISO400. You really need to push the shutter speed up a tad more - at ISO800 you would have got 1/400 which would have sorted out some of the blur perhaps.

Thanks for the comment.

I was advised to try f4 but i couldnt for the life of me get it below f5.6.

I will have to consult the manual (if it will go that low).

I tried sport mode,Tv & Av but still no joy.

My main aim today was to get 'in there' so to speak & when i have a bit more
time,get the camera settings right or pretty close depending on the weather.

Thanks for the comment.

I was advised to try f4 but i couldnt for the life of me get it below f5.6.

I will have to consult the manual (if it will go that low).

Not sure how much control over aperture you will have in action mode.

In Av you select the Aperture and ISO and the camera will select the shutter speed accordingly. But the minimum aperture will depend on your lens. Unless you have a great zoom lens the minimum aperture most likely depend on the focal length. My 70-300 zoom has f/4.0 at the short end but only f/5.6 at long lengths.

I see you have the Ef 55-200 lens in your profile. This has an aperture of 4.5 at the short end to 5.6 at max zoom.

im not an expert but id certainly like to see them sharpened up a bit but otherwise they all look like good shots to me, i struggled a little at 1st with the shutter mode but really got it sorted at the weekend.

Are you still standing ? I am sure you ahve been advised to sit and shoot lower.

I see you have the Ef 55-200 lens in your profile. This has an aperture of 4.5 at the short end to 5.6 at max zoom.

I was trying to get the 'f' down on the camera screen - guess i need to
read up on apertures & stuff :LOL:

im not an expert but id certainly like to see them sharpened up a bit but otherwise they all look like good shots to me, i struggled a little at 1st with the shutter mode but really got it sorted at the weekend.

Thanks,im trying to get in as close as i can with correct settings & then
hopefully i can work on sharper shots.

Are you still standing ? I am sure you ahve been advised to sit and shoot lower.

Yes,i was standing for these ones.
The pitch was in a horrible mess so i was on the pavement behind railings.

I may stick with another pitch further down (4 in total) as that is on a slope
so even though you are standing,you are still lower than the pitch itself.

Last edited:
Theres no point asking for advice and ignoring it..

If your only bothered about composition at this point then thats a major part of it.. Football looks better from a low position.. get a stool.. no one suggested sitting in the mud :)

Frequent would be pushing it a bit... although I was supposed to be there monday night for man utd res v accy res... got postponed...

Cheers for that :)

Theres no point asking for advice and ignoring it..

If your only bothered about composition at this point then thats a major part of it.. Football looks better from a low position.. get a stool.. no one suggested sitting in the mud :)

Sorry but what did i ignore :shrug:

There are 4 pitches in 1 park that i sometimes visit.
Sit or stand in the wrong place & you risk getting smacked by either a
ball to the back of the head or worst,a player will run into you.

On the outskirts of 1 pitch is a slope & if standing you would be almost
eye level with the pitch but last weekend it was water logged.

All i was concentrating on was getting zoomed in on the action.Later i
will look at getting clear shots from the correct angles etc & may visit
some other parks.

I dont want to run before i can walk :)

Sorry but what did i ignore :shrug:

have you not been advised to sit..shoot low.. dont shoot football stood.. If not then my mega apologies :) its usualy one of the first rules ... sorry :) and here it is... shoot low never stand ...

There are 4 pitches in 1 park that i sometimes visit.
Sit or stand in the wrong place & you risk getting smacked by either a
ball to the back of the head or worst,a player will run into you.

eeerm thats the same for us all.. sit at pitchside and prepare for the worse...

You say your more interested in composure than quality... You composition will never be right if you dont get low... standing at the side of a sloped pitch doesnt hack it at all... believe me I ahve been to many sloped pitches. :)

Back