3TB External Hard Drive £26!

They say a fool is easily parted from their money

Don't think saying that helps
Yes it was obviously a scam and it was always going to end in tears but the people who fell for it realise that now

I have basically given up on Ebay and its subsidiary PayPal.

I had a non- delivery of a sined for item from a UK seller who seemed to have a good reputaion but had spent time building a false rep.

It took the best part of 4 months before PayPal "chose" to refund.

Given my own hourly rate I charge I easily used nearly 3x the value of the fraudulent item in my own time I used chasing this all down.

As my grandmother used to say - If something looks too good to be true then it is not straight. She lived a very financially comfy old age by being canny.

Hard lesson but if EBay/PayPal want to hold on to their market they must tighten up on scams.

No Chinese purchases here.

Oh had a similar issue with Amazon in the form of an expensive purchase that the courier swore I signed for..... No proof of signature and eventually it turned out to have been left in the back garden of a house 35 miles away!!! Never to be seen again. Amazon got a replacement properly delivered a week later...

So internet ordering may be the future but remember granny's warning

Now what do I do with the 500 Wiston Dogital 3 Tonybite UBS Hard Droves someone has delivered to my back garden???

H

Last edited:
Don't think saying that helps
Yes it was obviously a scam and it was always going to end in tears but the people who fell for it realise that now

the key lesson though is for next time - had someone not posted this up as a 'bargain' without thinking it through various members would not now be trying to reclaim money via paypal.

and equally all those who thought " it was probably a scam but worth a punt" might want to reexamine their thinking - if something is virually certain to be a scam , in what way is it "worth a punt ?"

Last edited:
the key lesson though is for next time - had someone not posted this up as a 'bargain' without thinking it through various members would not now be trying to reclaim money via paypal.

and equally all those who thought " it was probably a scam but worth a punt" might want to reexamine their thinking - if something is virually certain to be a scam , in what way is it "worth a punt ?"

Yes think you are spot on there :)
As you say people probably did realise it was dodgy but chanced it in case it was legit but even tho it was not a large amount of money it was not worth the hassle

You never know, a few years ago my mate was after a new oil boiler, £650 was the best price he could find until one site had what he wanted for £65, worth a go he thought so he ordered one, it duly arrived for the advertised price, he kept an eye on the site, it was a week before they twigged and upped the price to £650, god knows how many they sold for nowt, he wished he'd ordered two.

LCPete - is that an original circa 1984 Powervalve ?
If so is it on the road and how many miles ?
Bought one of these at the time - best bike I ever had ! - would love a mint one now !
Regards
Rob

LCPete - is that an original circa 1984 Powervalve ?
If so is it on the road and how many miles ?
Bought one of these at the time - best bike I ever had ! - would love a mint one now !
Regards
Rob

Hi Robert it is :)
Had it a few years now bought it for £400 but it needed a lot of work
I rebuilt it myself stripped it down completely rebuilt the engine got everything powder coated
I was lucky and found a complete set of bodywork including tank that had just been resprayed on eBay
It's done about 18 K miles
Will never sell it tho means too much , put too much time into it :)
It's brilliant fun to ride too

Obvious scam deals like this should have the threads locked immediately in case anyone else falls for them.

Ebay keep sending me an email, telling me to return to seller, for a full refund. Only problem is, is that the address is in chinese, not accepted by the post office and I've informed Ebay of this!

Ahh well, more important things to worry about.

Obvious scam deals like this should have the threads locked immediately in case anyone else falls for them.

agree i principle think the mods prob have enough to do already tho:)

johnnypanic said:
Ebay keep sending me an email, telling me to return to seller, for a full refund. Only problem is, is that the address is in chinese, not accepted by the post office and I've informed Ebay of this!

Ahh well, more important things to worry about.

I think I mentioned this before, open a case, inform the seller you cannot send to this address (they will ignore you bar for moving the return date back), check the case again in eight days then escalate it with eBay - you will have your money back within two days after that.

Email to Ebay sorted it. Refund now received (y)

Whilst I am sorry if anyone lost money on this deal, I am genuinely astonished that anyone would risk buying a £26 3tb hardrive!

Do you also look for 'too good to be true' deals when replacing the brakes on your car?!

Oh give it a rest!

^^ I think everyone who 'bought' one knew that deep down, I guess it was still worth a punt. No harm done at least.

Back