40D tethered wire

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I tripped over the wire which tethered my laptop and my camera.

I fell, laptop fell, camera fell, and the wire is broken. Laptop is cracked abit at the back but seems to be working fine, the camera seems ok and the hole the wire went in seems ok but time will tell. But the wire wont work anymore because of the metal :( Anyone got any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Seen somewhere before about looping the wire around something. :shrug:

Don't trip over it! That'll solve your problem! :D

There's not a lot you can do to avoid damaging a cable when that sort of thing happens - I suppose you could loop it around the tripod leg to route it down to the floor neatly & that might avoid it pulling on the plug.

Gaffer tape! Tape the wire to the legs at a couple of points (top and bottom) as well as across the floor (all the way to avopid any trip hazard) and to the table leg as it rises to the laptop.

When you say "the wire won't work because of the metal", what exactly do you mean? The metal part of the plug is twisted? There may be a parts list in the manual which will give you the part number for the broken wire - any reputable dealer should be able to supply or order one for you or a friendly assistant might even tell you what to ask for somewhere cheaper!

I tripped over the wire which tethered my laptop and my camera.

I fell, laptop fell, camera fell, and the wire is broken. Laptop is cracked abit at the back but seems to be working fine, the camera seems ok and the hole the wire went in seems ok but time will tell. But the wire wont work anymore because of the metal :( Anyone got any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Seen somewhere before about looping the wire around something. :shrug:

Should have gone to 'Specsavers'

When you say "the wire won't work because of the metal", what exactly do you mean? The metal part of the plug is twisted?

The metal bits been pulled out :LOL:

Which metal bit? Which end? Pulled out as in broken or hanging out? Of the wire, the camera or the laptop? A picture might help us to help you.

the bit going into the camera (mini usb)

Simple - replace the cable.

OK BAD NEWS!! It has affected the camera, can someone give me a average on how much it costs to repair?? Its the mini usb socket.

It's seriously affected the camera socket? That's unlucky!

It's not worth repairing the cable - usb cables are cheap, sorry to hear about the camera though!

Is there a way to replace these, even if you have to send away? It works but not very well. It stops working after a few shots and then the laptop loses connection with it and says it cant find the camera.

Back