430EX II Flash for Macro?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at getting a 430EX II for my 350D, will this be any use *at all* for macro photography?

I have a Tamron 90mm and a flash would be good to get the shutter speed up for larger DOF shots but I certainly don't have the funds for a proper ring flash...

Any advice?

You can use a 430EX no problems but you will need a diffuser, my bro use's one for macro- have a look at photopainter on here

I have the 430EXII and it works well for macro. As DM said you will need a diffuser though. I purchased this instead of a dedicated macro flash as I decided it would be more versatile. In order to use it for macro I also have the following;

Lens Hood
Off shoe cord
Velcro

All in all, these bits cost me less than £35!

Basically I velcro the flash unit to the lens hood, so I can get nice and close with the flash. Works a treat. There's a thread called 'show us your macro rig' and I have the same set up as Stan-The-Man. Works a treat. Can't sort out the link at the mo as I'm in work - Have a quick search and you'll find it.

All in all, a cheap way to get decent flash for macro I think.

** Edit ** Back home now - Here's the linky for the macro rigs - Hope you get some ideas from here, it needn't cost a fortune.

how close is close for macro shots??

an off shoe camera lead might come in handy too, otherwise your macro shots 1:1 might have a lens shaped eclipse on them!

edit!! as mentioned above..DOH

I have the 430EXII and it works well for macro. As DM said you will need a diffuser though. I purchased this instead of a dedicated macro flash as I decided it would be more versatile. In order to use it for macro I also have the following;

Lens Hood
Off shoe cord
Velcro

Basically I velcro the flash unit to the lens hood, so I can get nice and close with the flash. Works a treat. There's a thread called 'show us your macro rig' and I have the same set up as Stan-The-Man. Works a treat. Can't sort out the link at the mo as I'm in work - Have a quick search and you'll find it.

** Edit ** Back home now - Here's the linky for the macro rigs - Hope you get some ideas from here, it needn't cost a fortune.

Where did you buy the off shoe cord mate? I have been looking for these this morning and on Amazon they are listed at £50 second hand.

ahh ok i see... so you can use a standard flash but you need to do a bit of a ghetto setup to get the light where you want it...

that thread you posted was very interesting kennysarmy :)

I assume if you used it in its normal position, with some sort of softbox it would cast dodgy shadows?

EDIT: I like to keep my box of tricks quite minimal, and I can't see me carrying round some big contraption i have built :p - If I got an off-shoe cord, and hand held the flash (with diffuser) near the subject, would that do a decent enough job?

ahh ok i see... so you can use a standard flash but you need to do a bit of a ghetto setup to get the light where you want it...

that thread you posted was very interesting kennysarmy :)

I assume if you used it in its normal position, with some sort of softbox it would cast dodgy shadows?

EDIT: I like to keep my box of tricks quite minimal, and I can't see me carrying round some big contraption i have built :p - If I got an off-shoe cord, and hand held the flash (with diffuser) near the subject, would that do a decent enough job?

PM photopainter - he uses the flash on camera with a modified pringles box :cautious: as a diffuser

Lens Hood
Off shoe cord
Velcro

Very useful info indeed.

May I ask, do you shoot ETTL when using flash for macro?

Do you use the camera in manual mode?

Very useful info indeed.

I use manual 1/200 f11 iso200 as a starting point. Flash in ETTL with -1 to 2 FEC. Be interested what others use too!

Very useful info indeed.

I have been shooting with the camera in manual mode, with the following approximate settings.

F11, 1/200-300, ISO 100.

I have been using the flash set to manual, at 105mm zoom and 1/2 power.

If the shots have been a bit dark I have just decreased the shutter speed by a touch.

Seems to have worked for me. Don't know if this is the right approach as I've only used my flash on 3 seperate ocassions. Am off on hols in the morning and have bought the Speedlite field guide to let me know what's going on and also to experiment a bit more.

I have to say, I have turned into a total convert for flash with macro. I'd never bother without it again.

Hope that helps (y)

Thanks guys. I have always struggled with macro due to not using flash, I have some ok shots but have always had to use a wide open aperture, resulting in such a shallow depth of field that most of my shots are throwaways.

I'm going to try and make a DIY flash diffusers and then give it all a go again :)

Back