450d to 40d why?

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Can somebody explain what would be the advantages of upgrading my canon 450d to a 40d?

I know I'd be losing 2 million pixels for a start

better picture quality, the 40d images will look better.

thats quite a good reason ;)

-Better Build body
-Higher speed shooting
-Two Custom Functions (on the dial mode)
-Better
-Autofocus (40D all of the 9 points are cross type sensors, in the 450D only the middle one is)
-Higher ISO range

And many many more

Hope I helped
Bart

I upgraded from a 450D to 40D.
The 2 million pixels you lose are nothing compared the advantages that have been mentioned.

Much more robust and solid in terms of build quality.

Almost double the speed in terms of frames per second at 6.5 - great if you like action shots.

Use both for a while and you'd never go back to the 450 unless you have little hands and prefer a small camera as the 40D is 50% heavier

The window on the top of the camera makes life so much easier too.

I think it's about the most sensible upgrade suggestion I've heard on here for ages. Usual suggestions on here would be upgrading to a 1Dmk3!

I've just gone 350d to 40d and so far it's great.
I prefer a bigger body, and am just ordering a grip for my 40d as my 350d was gripped and I liked the extra shutter button for portraits, but if you're used to an ungripped 450d then the 40d will feel much more substantial.

PS the missus told me this one has to last me for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'll have this one for a good few years.

In complete agreement with the above. My first DSLR was a 400D, I'd heard and read much about the 40D but, being a noob, couldn't quite grasp what was being said, how could one camera provide more? Then I took the plunge. Think Series Land Rover and Discovery. Think £2 wrist watch and £200 wrist watch. £50 suit and £250 suit. Vending machine coffee flavoures hot drink and espresso. Yorkie bar and quality chocolate. The only way is up.

Up until recently I had 400D & a 40D - However I started using the 40D all the time and I just had the 400D sat there as back-up however when I came to use the 400D - I just hated it!

So.......Igot rid of it!

The difference between the two camera's is 2nd to none in my opinion and you would be over the moon - I am sure if you changed over.
If you are unsure you could always go to one of these hire a camera places and hire one for the day and have a play with it I suppose!

SS:)

I went from a 400D to a 30D then 40D and I can honestly say its the best thing I ever did. Image quality was in a different league, but the best thing was the handling. Now I look back at my friends 400D and it is so SMALL! I tried using it and couldn't and it just made me question how I ever did use it! :)

....think Liverpool FC,,,Tranmere Rovers - both from the NW...but ;)

Liverpool are like a 1dMkIII, lots of promise but some early issues with focussing meaning losing ground to rivals, Tranmere like a 40d, can't compete with a 1D but once you get rid of the 1D aspirations (aka John Barnes) you can get back to enjoying your hobby ;)

but seriously I did the 400d to 40D, as many others have done simlar xxd to 40D and you'll struggle to find anyone who has regretted it.

The key thing is to hold an xxD size as it is quite a bit bigger - if you have small hands or prefer the feel of the 450 then I'd stick with that - if you don't enjoy the handling your photography will suffer IMHO.

That aside go for it, you'll love it! (y)

Also be mindful that a really big megapixal count doesn't necessarily mean better images. There are quite a few compact P&S cameras out there that have a higher pixel count than my DSLR, but I doubt if any of them will produce better images.

Liverpool are like a 1dMkIII, lots of promise but some early issues with focussing meaning losing ground to rivals, Tranmere like a 40d, can't compete with a 1D but once you get rid of the 1D aspirations....

:woot:

I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for. Before I got my 450D last year, I had a Panasonic Bridge camera. After having previously owned film SLRs before, I wanted to have something that bit better than the bridge camera.

What I really liked about the Panasonic, however, was the fact it was small and light. Whilst the 450D is heavier and larger than the bridge camera, I chose not to go for the 40D as the 450D also had good reviews, I didn't know whether my photograhpy would justify a 40D, and, as I travel regularly, both in the UK and abroad, and also tend to travel with hand baggage only, I didn't want to go for something larger or heavier like the 40D.

I think it's fine to have a larger heavier camera if you're driving somewhere and don't have to lug all your kit around, or if you're staying in the one place, but if you're travelling and not driving, and have to carry around clothing, washbag and camera equipment, compromises need to be made somewhere on the weight side.

I am flying to Norway soon with Ryanair to see the Northern lights and I also have a budget internal flight over there so I need to think carefully about what I will take with me as it will cost over £40 extra if I exceed my hand luggage limit, which is 10kg with Ryanair. The overall size of my camera bag is another factor to consider.

For that reason, I will not be taking my 70-300 or my kit lens but have chosen to take my new 10-22 and borrow a mates 28-135 to give me a decent range; I have figured that as this is a city break/scenery trip, I will take a gamble that 135 will be long enough for any telephoto stuff.

As with all things, you have to balance out what is right for you. I'm not denying the 40D is a good camera, by my 450D gives me the quality I want and I am quite happy with the smaller size.

is there anything else worth considering to the 40D ? I am in the same situation. I chose the 450 over the 40 purley on price last year, but now I'm ready to move up a bit.

is there anything else worth considering to the 40D ? I am in the same situation. I chose the 450 over the 40 purley on price last year, but now I'm ready to move up a bit.

I think Bart pretty much summed it up in post #3, I'd add the scroll wheel on the back makes quick changing of settings, navidation around much easier (than my 400d - not sure if the 450 is the same).

I was just wondering about saving a few more pennys for something up from a 40d ?

how much of an advantage is the full frame size on the 5d for example ? can be had for arounf £300 more than a 40D

The way I look at it is you can always pay more for something better, it's just how far you want to go.

I have researched and researched UWA zooms and I decided on the Sigma 10-20 at £399, having decided I couldn't justify £600 on the Canon. I then found the Canon for £489 via Onestop-Digital and decided the extra £89 was worth it.

Only you know what you are looking for, what you can afford, and what you can justify to yourself.

Only you know what you are looking for, what you can afford, and what you can justify to yourself.

yeahbut .... I dont know if the 5 is any better than the newer 40 ... how much difference is a full size sensor ? I like the idea of cheaper wide angle over longer zoom ???

I was just wondering about saving a few more pennys for something up from a 40d ?

how much of an advantage is the full frame size on the 5d for example ? can be had for arounf £300 more than a 40D

To be honest I have no idea! I imagine if you did a 40d v 5d both would have different advantages, so I guess it depends on your usage. If you have EFS lenses only also I believe they would not work on FF (not necessarily a reason not to but possibly some extra cost as well).

Decide what you want it for and you decision should become clearer.

Thanks for all the comments. I only use the camera for home use, nothing professional would the 40d be beyond my needs though? Kind of like buying a golf gti when the standard golf is all a man needs?

What about 40d compared with 50d? Is there much difference in price?

Thanks for all the comments. I only use the camera for home use, nothing professional would the 40d be beyond my needs though? Kind of like buying a golf gti when the standard golf is all a man needs?

What about 40d compared with 50d? Is there much difference in price?

reason I spoke re usage, is one will have better AF (so better for fast moving subjects etc ), one will have better ISO (if you often shoot in low light this may help), as a general rule I believe if comparing a new FF camera v a new Crop camera Landscape \ Wedding \ Portaits people tend to favour FF whilst those looking for longer reach eg wildlife prefer Crop cameras. Crop or no crop, no good with bad lenses, so I'd keep that in mind when debating how much to spend on upgrading the camera.

Back