4x Magnification Images with 18-55 kit Lens reversed

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I managed to grab a free hour this afternoon and a 40 minutes this evening to test my focus light torch... seen here

All in all this setup is working very well to my liking lighting seems very good and I'm getting better images than I expected out of Kit lens... this has definitely put the MP-E on back burner.

Think I will get another torch to go the other side to help too... torch power lasted about 2hrs then started to wane and focusing became harder (as if its not hard enough at 4x)

All these shots are not cropped and shot at 18mm with closest focus.

4x Magnification : @mattd85 as you were interested

1. As @TimmyG said I needed more magnification in a previous post with Nymph's

4x Macro Barkfly Nymph-9020-03
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Have no idea what it was doing. --- Think it was trying to burrow

4x Macro Barkfly Nymph-9019-02
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4x Macro Barkfly Nymph-9022-04
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4x Macro Crane Fly-8939-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4x Macro Wood Louse-8930-02
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Bee and very much alive just having a break

4x Macro Bee-8946-01 by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. Weevils have such tiny heads getting focus is a nightmare when light is waning.

4x Macro Weevil-9007-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4x Macro Collembola-9004-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Lots more images to come from the sessions today but... these are the ones I got at full Magnification.

All comments welcome and appreciated. Also any ideas on how to create a focus light that doesn't involve torches would be much appreciated, was think those LED light strips from maplin around the stofen diffuser or the lens itself might work but not sure how bright they are,

:ty:

Excellent job, the lighting is spot on for me :) I'd still like the MP-E but these shots almost make it worth picking up a kit lens!

I bought the eBay magnifier kit and would love to get images like this! There very clear and detailed! Great shots!!

( misses shopping trip canceled I'm on a mission tomorrow!)

I bought the eBay magnifier kit and would love to get images like this! There very clear and detailed! Great shots!!

( misses shopping trip canceled I'm on a mission tomorrow!)

Suggest you look at link in OP for how I setup for these shots.

Ok, I'm intrigued haha, ebay here I come

Really hope you are serious cause ants are no issue with this setup. Could save yourself loads of dosh.

@JohnPh thanks and yes MP-E is staying on wish list as is full frame for IQ purposes.

Bryn, as far as I can tell, these are MP-E quality. Some stunning work! Amazing what you can do with the kit lens. Lovely lighting too.

You missed focus on that woodlouse though ;)

Bryn, as far as I can tell, these are MP-E quality. Some stunning work! Amazing what you can do with the kit lens. Lovely lighting too.

Cheers mate, not on its left eye I didn't. You do half find yourself in weird positions with lighting. How do you cope with lack of light for focus? Do you use a led panel and if so how do you use it?
Just wish you could set aperture whilst mounted in reverse. I'm having so much fun with it I'm starting to think when am I going to pick up my Tamron again.

They all look good to me and #1,4,6 aremy fav.

#2 it was begging you to go away :p

Probably Icy I had just placed him down after I found him on my hand.. He did the same motion then too.

Think we need to start a missed focus thread.... i noticed my success rate drop dramatically when using this setup. But my god is it fun and lot lighter.

How do you cope with lack of light for focus? Do you use a led panel and if so how do you use it?
During the day I tend to do without, usually I get by. At very high magnifications I can sometimes only make out a bit of the outline of the subject, so I just guestimate where the focal point is then take lots of pictures :)
At night I have used an LED panel (the kind used for Video) that works really well. I've been routing through the leaf litter and it light's it up like a football pitch.
Early on I did use a torch to help with focusing, but had to hand hold it so it made taking the more difficult and I gave up on it after a while. A weekend project is to put something together with some LEDS, a battery and a soldering iron ;)

Bryn do you get time to eat, sleep or anything else :p

You are giving us folks so much really good information with such good shots to back it up - I'm in awe - genuinely in awe of your passion :clap::clap::clap:

Bryn do you get time to eat, sleep or anything else :p

You are giving us folks so much really good information with such good shots to back it up - I'm in awe - genuinely in awe of your passion :clap::clap::clap:

Think it's the awe inspiring nature That macro provides... infinite possibilities. Also slightly born out of jealously of what other macroiers are producing.

For some reason it's a type of photography Im good at... landscapes just can't get into, birds not quick enough, portraiture would really love to get hang of but you need wiling subjects.

Kids get bored and don't stay still, wife gets upset if I havent taken a shot in 10 secs.

Why did I start that old conversation again. Which ones do you think need a border out of interest :D

No7 would suit a nice thin black border, make it stand out a tad, it's still a cracking shot without one though

Les ;)

Nice set Bryn, just lacking a Border or two :p

Don't you think you've done the border joke to death & should have the imagination to move on you pair of juveniles :banana:

Back