5 best landscape photographers in the world

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I recently wrote an article on who I consider the best landscape photographers in the world. You can see it here . It includes interviews with some of the photographers.

Obviously this almost an impossible task as there are many talented photographers out there.

So do you agree with those on my list and if not who would make your top 5?

Just for fun....

For me personally, Joe Cornish would still make that list, as would Salgado (though I don't think he is specifically a landscaper photographer) and / or David Ward. I was looking at the book by Deschaumes only the other day, it looks superb.

As you say an almost impossible task to agree upon as it will be very subjective .. and in fact out of the 5 you have chosen, only 1 (perhaps two at a push) would be to my own tastes .. I also think our favourites can change as our own tastes and style develops .....

I rather like it when competitions publish their list of shortlisted entries, or indeed picking up the books from the commended images as this quite often will open my eyes to photographers that I knew little or nothing about. While I'm not sure I have five immediately in my head i know two who would certainly be on there, David Ward and Bruce Percy, with the the latter producing some of the most incredible subtle work with tones I've seen in a very very long time ..

Thanks for taking the time to put the article together, a good read.

cheers,

Nigel

I saw Bruce Percy talk at the On Landscape conference. I didn't go - it was streamed live which was nice. His pictures and the way he talked through how his style developed was really inspiring. His pics are mostly amazing - simple clean compositions and no shyness about processing them.

You can find the recorded video on the On Landscape Youtube channel here. It's well worth watching and there are a lot of good talks in there: https://m.youtube.com/user/onlandscape1

I saw Bruce Percy talk at the On Landscape conference. I didn't go - it was streamed live which was nice. His pictures and the way he talked through how his style developed was really inspiring. His pics are mostly amazing - simple clean compositions and no shyness about processing them.

You can find the recorded video on the On Landscape Youtube channel here. It's well worth watching and there are a lot of good talks in there: https://m.youtube.com/user/onlandscape1

Yup watched a lot of it live and have since re-watched a few again, including the talk by Bruce ...

Slowly, bit by bit, watching the live conferences. Some really inspiring stuff and great to hear straight from the horses mouth rather than read an editing transcript from a magazine.

Loved Bruce's work, although I preferred his style from 2012 if I'm being absolutely honest. Charles Cramer's talk was the most fascinating, a brilliant watch.

Ian Cameron should be there I think. He is the best in the world and is in a class of one. In my opinion. The more I look at this work, the more I form this opinion,

Just had a gander at his website, I love his four tips ;

1. Enjoy your photography. Take pictures first and foremost for yourself, pictures that give you pleasure NOT pictures you think others might prefer to see. Your photographs are unlikely to please everybody, some regard mine as too saccharin sweet - I like my coffee with milk and sugar, doubtless others prefer theirs strong and black.

2. Don't forsake the aesthetic for the perceived need to be "original". A beautiful picture is just that; beautiful, it doesn't need the window dressing of contrived originality to be admired.

3. Appreciate, photograph and embrace the beauty of the light that is given. It is pointless to harbour regret for the antcipated light that didn't materialise and worse still to try and make up for its perceived inadequacy in post processing.

4. A great many photographers I speak to seem intent on developing their own style. All that I have learned from my years of landscape photography has taught me that a style will find YOU.

His work is absolutely superb as well, good shout.

A great many photographers I speak to seem intent on developing their own style. All that I have learned from my years of landscape photography has taught me that a style will find YOU.

I like that. It applies to musicians too. By all means, emulate your heroes. You wont ever be just like them but it will help you on your way to make a better you.

Steve.

I've been aware of Bruce Percy's work for a long time since I worked selling landscapes in Scotland back in 2010. I agree the tones in his images are stunning.
Joe Cornish was one I considered from my memories of his work but upon viewing again if I'm honest I find his images a little mundane. Very high quality but I don't find them inspiring.

David Ward for me is not on my radar as being at that level.

As everyone says it is very subjective and true that as your own style evolves so to do our preferences with regards to other peoples work.

Lately I'm finding myself drawn to many Scandinavian photographers work , perhaps because I'm currently in a hot climate and pining for a good old fashioned winter and some snow.

I have an intervew with Damien Lovegrove coming up soon which should be fantastic for those interested in Portrait photography.

Thanks for commenting everyone.

I don't have a top 5, in fact I don't have a top tog at all !!!

From everyone I've ever looked at a lot I've seen great images and some not so great IMHO, so I don't care for who as much as the images themselves. There are now so many great Landscapers around (same for every genre really) and so many good ones too that millions of great images are made every year; some of my fav images each year I see on TP from some good togs who are in the right place, right time and competent enough to capture what's in front of them & process it well

I also find my tastes change over time too, so this year's great shot may not cut it a few years down the line

Hence I follow images not people

Dave

Back