50D. An Important Setting.

I have just got myself a 50D and thank you for this. I have a small question... Am I best to always shoot in RAW? I have never done it before, but it seems that alot of people on this forum do! Thanks

There's nothing wrong with shooting jpegs if you can nail the exposure every time - but there's the rub... that takes a bit of doing.;)

The advantages of shooting RAW are really enormous with separate control over the highlights and shadows, not to mention being able to set any white balance you like after the event.

OK, thanks. So what's the prefered/most used software for processing the Raw images?

Well I'd suggest you try Canon DPP which you got free with your 50D presumably. That's what I use. There are other options you can fork out lots of dosh for. ;)

Thankyou very much. I will see if I have it. You are very kind.

No probs. :wave:

Should be on the CD that came with your camera.

Yes. Just installed it. I will give it a try tomorrow.
I see you have the 17-40L - is it good? I am hoping to order one tomorrow - Couldn't find a nice 28-70 f2.8L and the 24-70 f2.8L is too expensive for me.

I see you have the 17-40L - is it good? I am hoping to order one tomorrow - Couldn't find a nice 28-70 f2.8L and the 24-70 f2.8L is too expensive for me.

I find it a cracking lens, although I tend not to use it too often for the sort of shooting I do. I recently covered a wedding with it where the 2nd shooter couldn't fit the group in with his 24-105L :D

3451865693_07a55f7756_b.jpg

Caught this thread a few weeks ago after experiencing what i think are very unacceptable levels of noise with the 50D. Turned off the the stuff as recommended and last weekend I had chance to try it out - went to Gigrin Farm in Mid Wales to see a Black Kite.

The light was fairly good when we got there but to maiantain good speeds on the camera I shot at 400 iso. Also I shoot 1/3 stop under. On the back of the camera things looks fairly good so I left the settings as changed and came home excited to see my shots.

must say I was even more distraught than previously. Spend a few days mulling over the stuff and have seriously considered moving over to Nikon and going to one camera - I also have a 5D.

Went in my local camera shop today and they have asked me to take it in and they will send it off to Canon for them to look at. Right now I wish I had bought the 40D but the 50D had been out a little while and 40D's wrre a little scare on the ground..... groan.

Any chance you can stick a pic up? Just reduce it to 800 pixels on the longest side, Don't do anything else, and let's have a look at it. (y)

Also I shoot 1/3 stop under. On the back of the camera things looks fairly good so I left the settings as changed and came home excited to see my shots.

I'm wondering why you are underexposing, it's just about the worst thing you can do if you are worried about high iso noise. This used to be the thing to do with slide film but not on a digi SLR.

Also looking at the shot on the screen is usually not much use to judge anything but framing in my opinion, use the histogram if you like to make sure you are not blowing the highlights but that's about it.

Not sure if the 40D and 50D have the same exposure algirithm but my 40D now sits almost permanantly at plus 1/3 stop, and no I don't think there is anything wrong with the camera I just prefer the images like that as a better place to start my RAW workflow.

HTH

David

I'm wondering why you are underexposing, it's just about the worst thing you can do if you are worried about high iso noise. This used to be the thing to do with slide film but not on a digi SLR.

Also looking at the shot on the screen is usually not much use to judge anything but framing in my opinion, use the histogram if you like to make sure you are not blowing the highlights but that's about it.

Not sure if the 40D and 50D have the same exposure algirithm but my 40D now sits almost permanantly at plus 1/3 stop, and no I don't think there is anything wrong with the camera I just prefer the images like that as a better place to start my RAW workflow.

HTH

David

+1 I've found better noise results from increasing the iso and over exposing slightly

Another 50D user that's just found it in the menu and switched it off.

Thanks for the tip!

Ian.

Caught this thread a few weeks ago after experiencing what i think are very unacceptable levels of noise with the 50D. Turned off the the stuff as recommended and last weekend I had chance to try it out - went to Gigrin Farm in Mid Wales to see a Black Kite.

The light was fairly good when we got there but to maiantain good speeds on the camera I shot at 400 iso. Also I shoot 1/3 stop under. On the back of the camera things looks fairly good so I left the settings as changed and came home excited to see my shots.

must say I was even more distraught than previously. Spend a few days mulling over the stuff and have seriously considered moving over to Nikon and going to one camera - I also have a 5D.

Went in my local camera shop today and they have asked me to take it in and they will send it off to Canon for them to look at. Right now I wish I had bought the 40D but the 50D had been out a little while and 40D's wrre a little scare on the ground..... groan.

Hi,

it also depends on how much you are having to crop as well, the more you crop the worse the noise will appear, however everybody forgets that PC monitors show noise up to look horrendous, try printing a few images and you will see how good they look (y)

Oh and don't worry that you didn't buy a 40D the 50D IS superior, ok maybe not by loads, but it is superior.

Mike.

Back