50D LENS SUITABILITY

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, i am gradually getting the urge to upgrade my Canon 350d to the 50d and my question is how will the 50d get on with my current selection of glass,

Canon 70-300 IS USM
Sigma 17-70
Nifty fifty

Anyone had experience of any of the above good or bad,if the change means forking out for new lenses the idea will have to be filed away for quite a while :help:

You have 3 lenses with very good reputations so I wouldn't be too worried, especially because on a crop body, the camera only uses the center part of the image circle, which is where most lenses are at their sharpest anyway.

However, it is worth asking yourself why you want the upgrade because in terms of image quality there are reports that suggest the 50D can't actually deliver better image quality than the 40D when used with the same lenses. Have a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page25.asp1

If you're after better AF, better build, etc. it seems that the best value-for-money upgrade in your situation would be to go for the 40D.

You have 3 very good lenses there and I've owned all 3 of them in the past. You will have no problem with any of them on a 50D :)

if i where u i'd stick to with the 350d the 50d doesnt exactly have a good reputation. or just upgrade to the 500d if u really got money burning a hole in ** pocket.

its cheaper and doesnt have as many faults. so yes. i can get the 500d for 499 where as the 50d 699 if i really try!

You have 3 lenses with very good reputations so I wouldn't be too worried, especially because on a crop body, the camera only uses the center part of the image circle, which is where most lenses are at their sharpest anyway.

However, it is worth asking yourself why you want the upgrade because in terms of image quality there are reports that suggest the 50D can't actually deliver better image quality than the 40D when used with the same lenses. Have a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page25.asp1

If you're after better AF, better build, etc. it seems that the best value-for-money upgrade in your situation would be to go for the 40D.

for 1!

jackbauer, I'd love to hear about all these faults the 50D is supposed to have. Can you elaborate? :shrug:

if i where u i'd stick to with the 350d the 50d doesnt exactly have a good reputation. or just upgrade to the 500d if u really got money burning a hole in ** pocket.

What you talking about? I got two and love them also today there was 4 of us meeting up and 3 had 50D

jackbaur has previously posted a lot of rambling rubbish about the 50D, he doesn't have one so cannot be regarded as any kind of authority on its performance. To the OP, your lenses will work well with a 50D and I heartily recommend it to you.

i went from a 40D to a 50D and not looked back since, its not a huge jump like the 40D was from my 400D but its enough to goven the extra pennies which after i sold my 40D was only like £200 :).

Compared to the 350D the 50D will be a huge step up, well worth it IMO.

Not sure where the 50D has a poor reputation nor why people still recommend the 40D instead. Perhaps this is because of the default settings you need to change. DP review got caught out with this, but still seems to be the often quoted authority.

CT? wrote up the settings to change on here. Perhaps someone would provide a link (I've forgotten them).

I went from a 300D to a 40D and then to a 50D when the 40D shutter failed under warranty after 18 months and 30K shots.

The 40D to 50D is a great step up. 15Mp means for sport/birding etc you get more chance to crop to get the shot (especially for birds - blooming small things).
The screen is higher res, meaning I've more of an idea if a shot is in focus or not.
I thought the menu on the joystick was a gimmick, but it's actually really useful.
The digic 4 processor, write speed to flash, high ISO/low noise are again brilliant reasons to upgrade.

Microfocus adjustment is brilliant. I've only had to tweak my 100-400 settings but it's given me more keepers.

The only downside is you now have 20-22mb raw files rather than 10-12mb, so you eat up your disk space quicker.

Seeing as it's a reasonable small difference compared to lens choices, I'd recommend the 50D everytime.

Lenses
Nifty 50 works great on the 40D/50D. I've had some great portrait/product shots using this lens.
70-300 IS will be fine for starters, nice lens, but the power of the dark side L lens will be calling :D

This is the thread you're referring to I believe :)

Invaluable info for anyone who owns a 50D (y)

Looks like a good spread of lenses...

I love my 50d...hope you love yours as well...

STEVIER

Thanks to everyone for putting my mind at rest, it looks like a 50d will be taking up residence in the slingshot 300 sometime in the not to distant future.
Sorry it`s taken me so long to reply,been trying to collect a few browny points together. (y)

Back