Captive 50mm test

Colour please :)

Very nice shot... the whole lettering thing on Nikon lenses confuses me what is the real world difference between them?

I hope you're happy with it, buddy.

Yup - very happy Dean - I've only got the 85 f1.4 MF samyang (which I love) for a low light prime. Its small, light and as you can see its pretty sharp - the D800 would have exposed it and its bang on for me!

Thanks again!

S

Very nice shot... the whole lettering thing on Nikon lenses confuses me what is the real world difference between them?
The G is sharper wide open and has nicer bokeh, but focuses a touch slower than the D. Better colours too.

As Dean says regarding the lettering. I haven't developed the colour version as I shot it with mono in mind when I saw her playing there.

I'll post a colour shot from today later!

If that was in some book by a famous American photographer, you would all be waxing lyrical about it...how things change
sorry, but Ive had a few glasses of Merlot..
...and I'm usually a grumpy git
appologies

If that was in some book by a famous American photographer, you would all be waxing lyrical about it...how things change
sorry, but Ive had a few glasses of Merlot..
...and I'm usually a grumpy git
appologies

Hi

Thanks - I think (if i got the tone of your message right?!) - for looking and commenting!

I was in the park with a couple of other Dad's, so quickly grabbed my newly acquired 50mm and gave it a whirl!

S

Hi

Thanks - I think (if i got the tone of your message right?!) - for looking and commenting!

I was in the park with a couple of other Dad's, so quickly grabbed my newly acquired 50mm and gave it a whirl!

S
You got it right...excellent image IMO

Love the focus on this Shaheed, even the watermark works, ya git. :D

Cheers David

Liking this 50 mm a lot. Unusually for me all natural light!

The watermark was serendipity - I was looking for somewhere to put it and it seemed obvious to put it in the bar!

Thanks for looking

S

Last edited:
I know nothing about Nikon gear, but her eyes in this are just wow! I would be interested to see the colour version as well!

This is a really nice image, the eyes are piercing with superb detail.

As for the lens, it's probably the best value for money lens I own. I also have a D800. If you get a good copy of this lens then you simply can't go wrong. They are on sale in a few places at the moment. I mean seriously, sub £200 for a sharp 50mm prime? It's crazy value for a really versatile lens. In all honesty, I'd pick it over the 1.4 and I gather I'm not alone in this. The 1.2 is better but it's what, 6x the price?

I'd buy this lens all day long and I recommend it to everyone for their first proper DSLR lens.

Good choice and great results.

This is a really nice image, the eyes are piercing with superb detail.

As for the lens, it's probably the best value for money lens I own. I also have a D800. If you get a good copy of this lens then you simply can't go wrong. They are on sale in a few places at the moment. I mean seriously, sub £200 for a sharp 50mm prime? It's crazy value for a really versatile lens. In all honesty, I'd pick it over the 1.4 and I gather I'm not alone in this. The 1.2 is better but it's what, 6x the price?

I'd buy this lens all day long and I recommend it to everyone for their first proper DSLR lens.

Good choice and great results.

Well.........it was sub 100!!!

I had the 50 af-d in 2010 and paid around 100 new.It was my first lens that I bought after the kit lens on my d90.
I then had the 50 1.4 af-d for around 160 used.
This is immense value and sharp!! I have a 85 mm f1.4 which is also sharp but manual focus. I was saving for the sigma 35 f1.4 but was getting nowhere fast and then this lens came up! Solves my low light lens problem until I win the lottery!

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Shaheed

Well.........it was sub 100!!!

I had the 50 af-d in 2010 and paid around 100 new.It was my first lens that I bought after the kit lens on my d90.
I then had the 50 1.4 af-d for around 160 used.
This is immense value and sharp!! I have a 85 mm f1.4 which is also sharp but manual focus. I was saving for the sigma 35 f1.4 but was getting nowhere fast and then this lens came up! Solves my low light lens problem until I win the lottery!

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Shaheed

£100? Thats practically theft! lol.

I have a 24-70 (£1300) which is supposedly an amazing lens but right now it's in for repair at Nikon because it just could not hold a candle to the 50mm f1.8g which I paid £150 for. I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry about that situation!

You'll really enjoy using it, I'll stick my neck out and say at that price point there's just nothing out there which can compete with it, regardless of brand.

£100? Thats practically theft! lol.

I have a 24-70 (£1300) which is supposedly an amazing lens but right now it's in for repair at Nikon because it just could not hold a candle to the 50mm f1.8g which I paid £150 for. I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry about that situation!

You'll really enjoy using it, I'll stick my neck out and say at that price point there's just nothing out there which can compete with it, regardless of brand.
I'd been worn down by nobody wanting my D700 for 500 quid! Crazy world.

Not as happy with this one........but didn't have time to capture this spontaneous pose as I wanted. Anyway - in colour!!

50 mm test Miller Time by Sir SR, on Flickr
I love this, as it's very natural and spontaneous.

The BW above is great. The sharp focus on her eyes is lovely.

I'm going to buy some new rubbers and try again. I guess that there are so many out there that nobody wants a slightly scruffy one.

Why not? The PP is lovely.

You need to be selling these, they're absolutely fab.

Cheers David

I'd not sell this one as it's one of my best mate's kids, but if people would pay for this kind of thing.....maybe (time is the main problem!)

Cheers David

I'd not sell this one as it's one of my best mate's kids, but if people would pay for this kind of thing.....maybe (time is the main problem!)

I for one, would, if i was not planning to do pictures of my son myself. Thats another nice capture and a well chosen format for presentation.

Yeah i thought you'd say that. Lol. That's my biggest problem.

I've been asked by one of the mums from Lil's school to do some for them but i can't bring myself to give them a price. :LOL: Chicken...

Yeah i thought you'd say that. Lol. That's my biggest problem.

I've been asked by one of the mums from Lil's school to do some for them but i can't bring myself to give them a price. :LOL: Chicken...

Price is the easy bit!!

I looked at my local "competition"

"Multi-Award winning photographer"

These awards are the monthly image competition at the SWPP (a gold and a couple of commendations).

My friend went there and was put off by the aggressive up selling of prints!

When I get more time I'll definitely think about starting to sell the wares!! Was hoping to have started bt now but other things overtook!!

S

Back