550d v.s. 60d?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

I've been looking at getting the 550d as my first DSLR (after using a D5000 for about half a year), and I've been saving up for a while, and I'm close to reaching the £500 I need (50mm 1.8+Kiss X4). Last week though I remembered that I have £250 lying around, that I may save up, but I was considering splashing out the extra and getting a 60D body.

I'm pretty sure I'll be using this body for a fair few years and instead spending on glass, but I'm not sure if I'll be limited by the 550d before long. This body will have to last me, but I'm not sure how much mileage I'll get out of the 550d?

I imagine I'll be shooting as much as possible over the coming years, what are the key differences between the 60d and the 550d, beyond the tilty screen and fps?

Obviously the 60d is a superior body, but it comes down to whether the difference in distance I can go with each camera is significant enough to justify the extra money; if neither can act as a serious camera then I'll be replacing it anyway and may as well put the money towards a 1.4 instead of the 1.8.

Opinions please? For reference, I don't feel like the D5000 is limiting me yet, though that screen /is/ awful, and I know that neither of these cameras would limit me now, but would both be adequate for a photography course at Uni?

Go into a real bricks and mortar shop and handle both of them. It may sound trivial, but the whole feel of the camera in your hands can be the difference between being happy with the camera, or not. The more you want to use the camera, the more likely you'll be to take it with you. The more you use it, the more likely you are to improve your shooting.

A couple of years ago, after a spell without using SLR cameras for maybe 7-8 years, I bought a 450D. Without handling it. I know, I know. For a while I was happy with it, though I did think everything was a little cramped and easy to press the wrong button.

Then I needed to shoot a job on film, and borrowed a friends EOS-3 camera. The difference in handling was like night and day - everything just fell to hand, and within 10 minutes of playing with the camera, I was already comfortable with it, and able to just get on with shooting, without the camera getting in the way of the creative process of taking shots. Within a week I'd bought a EOS-5 35mm, and then a couple of weeks later, when the 5 turned out to be a lemon, a EOS-3 35mm camera. Since then, I've shot lots of stuff on the digital, and the film, but when I went shooting for fun, I was more likely to take the film camera.

Around the time the 60D was announced, the new camera fund hit a critical amount and I had to make the decision to go for the 60D or the 7D. So - not wishing to make the mistake again, I waited until I could handle both. I did, and ended up spending a little more, but that was the right decision for me. To be honest, both bodies really only give their best with good glass anyway - but a good stash of L glass (or at least the 1.4 USM rather than the 1.8 - the 1.2L is silly money) will stand you in good stead for a couple more upgrades I reckon.

If you can see yourself using a flashgun then the 60D is a better choice as you can use the flashgun off camera using it's Integrated Speedlite Transmitter.
It has an articulated rear screen and more control over videos. If none of this is important then the 550 should suit you.

Kerso? I'm looking at Digitalrev at the moment who seem to be a good sight cheaper than the rest, or is Kerso cheaper still?

with Nikon what's the difference between Dxx and Dxxx (eg D60 and D200)? Thanks.

with Nikon what's the difference between Dxx and Dxxx (eg D60 and D200)? Thanks.

Pretty much the same as between the xxD and the xxxD Canon models, mainly better build quality.

I thought Nikon was a lot stranger and less logical with how many numbers there are in the name?

Current range, top to bottom: D3x, D3s, D3, D700, D300s, D7000, D90, D3100/D5000

Well Kerso won't be far off, and you won't be getting a grey import...

If it's a 550d it can't be a grey import, given it would be a Rebel T2i/Kiss X4 in that case. I haven't heard anything about grey imports from Digitalrev on other forums anyway.

If it's a 550d it can't be a grey import, given it would be a Rebel T2i/Kiss X4 in that case. I haven't heard anything about grey imports from Digitalrev on other forums anyway.

All of digitalrev's stock is sourced from Hong Kong. It will be a grey import and the warranty will be with digitalrev/Canon HK, not Canon UK.

All of digitalrev's stock is sourced from Hong Kong. It will be a grey import and the warranty will be with digitalrev/Canon HK, not Canon UK.

I understand what you're saying, and I know that they're based in HK, but how would they source US and Europe specific models from HK?

I understand what you're saying, and I know that they're based in HK, but how would they source US and Europe specific models from HK?

They don't it will be a Kiss, its just known by different model names in different countries.

Kerso is the best bet, if you have the extra cash then just get the 60D and have done with it, no sense really in going for the 550D except on cost grounds.

I would be happy with that and a 50mm F1.8 to start with then add more decent glass as and when I could afford it.

They don't it will be a Kiss, its just known by different model names in different countries.

Kerso is the best bet, if you have the extra cash then just get the 60D and have done with it, no sense really in going for the 550D except on cost grounds.

I would be happy with that and a 50mm F1.8 to start with then add more decent glass as and when I could afford it.

Are you saying that they get Kiss X4's and then rebrand them as 550d's/T2i's?

I know that they're known by different model names in different countries, but if they're selling a 550d, unless they've rebranded it themselves, then surely it must be an EU model?

Can i ask you why you are switching from a D5000 to Canon?

I switched from Canon to Nikon because I had a problem with my 550d. I was never sure it focused properly as some images were very soft under testing on tripod etc. It may have been that actual camera that was at fault and I was SO disappointed as it was everything I wanted in a camera. I then had a 40D which was just about perfect image wise but was / is very heavy.

I'm not that impressed with my D5000 so I'm kinda thinking of switching back to Canon. yes it will cost me a lot but I now have another job so things will improve financially.

Can i ask you why you are switching from a D5000 to Canon?

I switched from Canon to Nikon because I had a problem with my 550d. I was never sure it focused properly as some images were very soft under testing on tripod etc. It may have been that actual camera that was at fault and I was SO disappointed as it was everything I wanted in a camera. I then had a 40D which was just about perfect image wise but was / is very heavy.

I'm not that impressed with my D5000 so I'm kinda thinking of switching back to Canon. yes it will cost me a lot but I now have another job so things will improve financially.

Sure. The D5000 is my Dad's camera, and before that he had a Canon EOS 600, and so has a 28-70 and 70-210 (both Sigma) that I should be able to rechip for the 550d/60d. I really don't like the D5000 to be honest, it just doesn't agree with me. If I swap to Canon he's happy to give me the two Sigma lenses and I'll be able to take the body, but if I just get more Nikon glass I'll still need to keep organising whenever I want to shoot with him in advance.

Basically
- Already have two Canon mount lenses
- Can't use the D5000 as much as I'd like
- Really disappointed by the D5000 screen
- Wouldn't be able to take either the D5000 or the F-Mount lenses (18-55 and Tamron 70-300) when I leave home

Are you saying that they get Kiss X4's and then rebrand them as 550d's/T2i's?

I know that they're known by different model names in different countries, but if they're selling a 550d, unless they've rebranded it themselves, then surely it must be an EU model?

We have both 550D T2i and Kiss X4, and they are in difference prices.

Canon EOS 550D Body (Rebel T2i)
Canon Kiss X4 (EOS 550D / Rebel T2i)

You are welcome to ask any questions by PM or at our Sponsor Forum. :)

I got a 60d off digital rev recently.

No problems at all. Prefer the battery charger to the Euro model.

Sure. The D5000 is my Dad's camera, and before that he had a Canon EOS 600, and so has a 28-70 and 70-210 (both Sigma) that I should be able to rechip for the 550d/60d. I really don't like the D5000 to be honest, it just doesn't agree with me. If I swap to Canon he's happy to give me the two Sigma lenses and I'll be able to take the body, but if I just get more Nikon glass I'll still need to keep organising whenever I want to shoot with him in advance.

Basically
- Already have two Canon mount lenses
- Can't use the D5000 as much as I'd like
- Really disappointed by the D5000 screen
- Wouldn't be able to take either the D5000 or the F-Mount lenses (18-55 and Tamron 70-300) when I leave home

Check with Sigma before you make that decision.

Some lenses cannot be done and others they will no longer do anyway.

Unless they are fixed F2.8 lenses tbh it's not even worth considering the rechip when you look at the price of equivalent lenses today.

I wouldn't recommend you base your brand choice on that alone.

Back