5D I vs 5D II vs any other Canon FF?

Edit My Images
No
Right, so I am looking for a Canon FF body as I really want to get the best out of my 70-200 2.8 L IS. Its not the only reason but I want something that can handle the higher ISO's better. I think my 40d is superb, shooting at 800,1000,1250 isnt a huge issue. But I want to have one camera that is purely a FF setup. I know the 5d II is excellent at handling noise, but given its high cost at the moment and relatively little 2nd hand market I wanted some opinions from you folks on whether the Mark I is a good 2nd option to the Mark II for someone with a limited budget? Is there any other Canon FF out there I could consider? I am only looking to buy 2nd hand, as I need to pick up another few lenses.

p.s. I did do a search on '5d mark II' and after 4 pages, I gave up!

i will ofcourse pick one up in the jacobs near my work (if they let me in!) and have a look at the LCD. If it is on par with my 40d i dont think I will be that disappointed as I mainly look at the screen for a quick check on composition and exposure. I find LCD's rarely give an accurate estimation of what the image really is like.

Digital relish,

Funnily enough I prefer the buttons BELOW the monitor, like on the 40D.
Down the left hand side I keep pushing them with my nose when I'm composing the shot! My nose must be in the wrong place.

I found with the 40D that the monitor gave me a good idea what the colour saturation of the image would be like as well. You certainly can't do that with the 5D, unless I've got a duff one...

I had a look at one at lunchtime. It feels almost identical to my 40d, the lcd is a bit naff. A found a 2nd body with 1yr gaurantee fully boxed for 720. Worth snapping up?

£720 for a used 5D and 1-year warranty is a good price. Any idea how many shutter actuations? Not sure if it's possible to determine this on the 5D.

i will check the actuations later this afternoon when i pop back. There were a few dust spots which he tried to clean with a rocket blower but didnt have much luck. he said he would pop down the screen infront of the sensor and clean it more thoroughly. i was told that the sensor is absolutely spot free, its the screen. I personally am not too bothered if it doesnt show up in photos, but obviously would like the best for my money. they did have one in better condition but it was £900.

I would say so
I used one for a short while and i was really impressed with it :)
offer 700 or less it's a buyers market at the moment.

Agreed noise isn't too bad at ISO 1600, but colour, contrast and sharpness do suffer.

i dont think i would really need it to deliver above 1250 ISO. I shot these yesterday Asian Wedding with a 40d and 400d. They are in bright environments but the later images (not published yet) were in darker scenes but i think my current setup of relatively fast glass helps keep the ISO to a manageable level. I tried the 5d with the 24-105L. It was gorgeous and immediately noticed the difference of having FF.

With respect to the actuations, if it packs up within a year its on Jacobs and if it lasts more than a year it will become my 2nd body and ill be in a position to hopefully pick up a 2nd hand 5dII

*update*

I am now the proud owner of a 5d! The guy cleaned up the dust spots really well, to the extent that they are almost non existent. Fully boxed, all manuals, straps, charger, cables, software and original canon battery! £710 + 1 year warranty = one happy bunny

Congrats. :D

It's alot more solidly built than it feels too. Mine has been tested beyond the call of duty and it takes it all in its stride.

yeah, i noticed it straight away. i think for me the transition from the 40d to the 5d will be an easy one. but the mrs will struggle to get to grips with the 40d going from the 350d.

Back