5d mark III error code 30

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
In Sri Lanka, was out yesterday in ruins in heavy rain with umbrella, camera got a little wet.

Last few shots of the day were misty but lens seemed ok could have been sensor.

This morning the camera gives error 30. Took lens off put into manual cleaning mode same thing, tried having replaced battery too.

Any ideas? Thanks

Im assuming that you know that error 30 is shutter malfunction? If it wont reset and its in warranty then I would be getting it back to Canon for them to fix.

There are some reports on the web that Error 30 can be overcome by turning the body upside down and giving it a reasonable slap on the base. Another reports the same error after shooting in a high temperature, high humidity environment....probably what you've experienced. I suspect a contact problem in a connector (moisture related)rather than a coincidental mechanical failure.

Bob

Thanks guys, no airing cupboard, there must be rice around here somewhere :) but will have to speak to someone.

Looks like my rx1r compact will see me through the rest of the trip.. Shame

Thanks guys, no airing cupboard, there must be rice around here somewhere :) but will have to speak to someone.

Looks like my rx1r compact will see me through the rest of the trip.. Shame

Didn't think there would be but there must be rice. Hope its minor and you get it sorted soon mate.

I've just done a quick google and first hit is on DPReview in regard to limited 5D3 weather sealing;

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50713471

Next hit for Error30 concludes failed shutter assembly for several users as Canon Bob said above;

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51211991

Not looking good. I seem to remember an uproar about Sony's 'modification' of their weather sealing claims for the A7, looks like the 5D3 is similarly weak. I used to shoot my old 40D in all weather but must have been lucky. Good luck with getting it working again though, nothing worse than missing shots when you're away.

Cheers
Steve

I was using the zeiss 21mm 2.8 at the time so maybe that let moisture in.

Commandeering my wife's 1100d to use with 200mm f2 and 85mm 1.2 will hopefully get me through :)

I was using the zeiss 21mm 2.8 at the time so maybe that let moisture in.

Commandeering my wife's 1100d to use with 200mm f2 and 85mm 1.2 will hopefully get me through :)

Glad you got something to fall back on,unfortunately the WR in a lot of cameras is not as good as manufacturer make out to be :(

I had this exact think on my camera last 2 years ago in Vietnam. Had to remove battery and dry it out fully although there was no signs of moisture. After a day it worked okay but sent it to Canon when back in UK and they found no fault. It has worked ever since then.

I had this exact think on my camera last 2 years ago in Vietnam. Had to remove battery and dry it out fully although there was no signs of moisture. After a day it worked okay but sent it to Canon when back in UK and they found no fault. It has worked ever since then.

Fingers crossed thanks for hope :)

Try putting the body is a sealed bag containing rice to try absorb any moisture - worth a shot.

A waterproof cover would be on the cards for me if it all turns out for the best.

It would sound like 1D X or one of the older 1Ds depending on budget would be better to take to really humid places...

P.S. You do have a camera rain sleeve and use it in the rain? Even 1D may be better off in one when it gets too damp.

I never let any camera i own get wet. 1 series or not. Why take the risk. A cover takes up no space at all.

Hope you manage to get it sorted out Dan and use it for the rest of your time there - even if you do get it sorted out, I'd still (for piece of mind) get it to Canon for checking when you can ...

Back