5D2 Error 20 message

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
So, having right old fun and games tonight, first time my 5D2 has had this message and it looks a complete failure, not happy!

I get the standard Err 20 message, shooting is not possible, turn the power switch OFF and ON again.

Which of course doesn't fix the problem, have updated the firmware to the latest, formatted cards in and out of camera, recharged batteries, changed lenses, removed battery grip, re-added battery grip, tried running on no-battery grip, reset camera to factory and changed lenses, all to no avail.

What a time to happen, Easter hols! Looks like the 30d and EOS3 are going get some use....

Great time to have sold your 1D2 :bang:

Grrrrr

Cheers, Neil

Have you cleaned where the lens sits, I'm sure I've had an error come up because the lens contacts are dirty?

Err 20 Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected.

oops I don't suppose it's still under warrenty is it ? sounds like a shutter or mirror malfunction.

You haven't forgotten and stuck an EF-S lens on the front have you.

Have you tried taking the little battery out as well as the main batt? A long shot as it does sound mirror/shutter based but worth a go.

Last edited:
So if anyone comes across the thread in the future the 5D2 is now working very well.
What happened?

Well I hit just about every single site on the internet with a suggestion for the fix including:

Changing batteries
Changing grip
Recharging batteries
Formatting CF cards on camera and mac
Cleaning contact points
Changing lenses
Updating to latest firmware
Shooting CF cards on another body and then reinserting.
Lots more I cant remember.

All of which failed, there is an abundance of opinion on the web as to what causes the issue on 5D2, suffice to say it seems fairly common and that it isn't related to any specific issue. Firmware updates has no impact.

What did I do? Left it alone for 2 hours... and it is now working perfectly fine.

Happy to talk and point people to sites in the future if it helps, but if you get this message, I would suggest walking through most, if not all, of the actions above.

If all else fails, leave alone for a few hours and come back later!

Last edited:
Glad to see it all worked out in the end!

Not a happy bunny whilst the camera was down I imagine!

Rosie

Back