5D3 options - Any Thoughts/Experience

Name
At FL380
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Presently looking to purchase a 5D3 and have the following options so looking for constructive advice please

Option 1 - buy in UK, jessops doing a decent deal, £2199, 0% over 12months, £100 cash back and obviously international warranty.

Option 2 - I spend half the year in Asia, Hong Kong mainly and can purchase from high street chain for £1560 (based on current exchange rates) new but only has Hong Kong/China warranty.
As I work there any issues could be rectified.

I believe some members have bought grey imports with a 'UK' warranty and was wondering what their views/opinions are.

Second hand uk bodies are selling on here for circa. £1500 so you see my dilemma.

Thoughts please

TIA :)

Option 2 for me, bit of a no brainer, much cheaper and you can take advantage of the warranty.

Option 2 for me, bit of a no brainer, much cheaper and you can take advantage of the warranty.

It's an odd dilemma I have I know

I buy my Apple products from HKG as I work here and use them here and are 20% cheaper than the UK and have no issue with Apple as they have international warranty anyway, I have a PS3 here too which I have never had an issue with!

I'm aware of all the chat from members opinions and being concerned about buying cameras other than in the UK thus this is a nagging point in the back of my mind.

I'm aware of all the chat from members opinions and being concerned about buying cameras other than in the UK thus this is a nagging point in the back of my mind.

TBH, I don't see the problem, its your money, you spend a lot of time over there anyway. Im sure we've all bought something whilst on holiday or in duty free!

TBH, I don't see the problem, its your money, you spend a lot of time over there anyway. Im sure we've all bought something whilst on holiday or in duty free!

Agreed,

I think I'm also looking for anyone with experience in regards to cameras purchased in HKG, are there specific details in need to know, are they produced elsewhere, etc....

Agreed,

I think I'm also looking for anyone with experience in regards to cameras purchased in HKG, are there specific details in need to know, are they produced elsewhere, etc....

Nope, they source directly from Canon, same place as Canon UK, UK cameras aren't made in the UK.

You are aware of the warranty situation. Can usually download english PDF manuals on manufacturers site and just get a UK travel plug for the charger.

Last edited:
I believe that Canon cameras carry an international warranty, so buying in HK shouldn't cause any warranty issues in the UK.

Check out HDEW in croutons. Grey import but excellent warranty. Friend bought his d700 and 24-70 F2.8 there and really did his homework.

If your camera goes pop (which is unlikely) and you spend a lot of time in the country where the warranty is still valid, the question is why would you even consider option 1! ;)

Back