650D and 24-105L

Name
ken
Edit My Images
Yes
i have a canon 650D and looking to buy a 24-105L will these work well together and has anyone got some photos taken with this set up thanks

Personally I would find 24mm max width a bit short on a crop sensor. Have you considered th 15-85mm which wouldbon a crop give the same field of view as the 24-105 on a full frame

i have been considering some lenses like 15-85 ,10-22, 50mm 1.4 or 17-40L . I'm looking for peoples experience with the 24-105 on a crop senor good, bad ,image quality etc before i make up my mind

IQ on the 24-105 is good as is the build quality.

You are paying for a lens that your crop camera will only use the centre of but it obviously means you can keep it if you decide to go full frame or use on an SLR. Being an L it has good resale value should you ever wish to move it on.

I guess it boils down to whether f4 suits your needs and also whether you think 24mm is going to be wide enough.

I'd also be looking at the EF-S 15-85 and the EF-S 17-55 f2.8

Last edited:
Great quality lens both in terms of images and build but I'd think long and hard before having 24mm as my widest angle on a walk about using a crop sensor.

If it was my money it would go an a 15-85mm of if you want f 2.8 a 17-50mm.

I think I'm just repeating what others have said here but.... If I were you I would go for the EF-S 17-55 IS USM. As good as the 24-105 is for the money it is more at home on FF. The 17-55 really shines on Canon crop. The f/2.8 constant aperture coupled with 3-stop IS make it very versatile in low light.

If the constant f/2.8 isn't important to you then as suggested the 15-85 is reportedly very good but I have no personal experience of it. I would trade the extra focal length for constant f/2.8 any day though.

Also, as others have said 24mm on crop isn't that wide (~38mm equiv) and for a walk-a-bout lens that may be a significant issue to you.

I'm not saying it is the case here, but sometimes there seems to be a strong lure of the 'red ring of L' on the basis that it must by default be the better choice. There are many Canon lenses that lack the L but are absolute gems. Buy for the camera you have now, not the one you *may* own in the future. You will be able to sell on a 17-55 or 15-85 very easily with very little loss if you look after them.

Yip, I'm with the recommendations you've been given above.

24mm on a Canon crop body gives the same field of view as a 38mm lens on full frame. I regard 35mm as a very modest wide angle, and feel that the true wide angles start at 28mm. 15mm and 17mm on your 650D will give you the equivalent of 24mm and 27mm respectively. I'd go with the f2.8 17 - 55mm for the extra stop, and it might be worth looking for a used one. They're quite expensive new - in L lens territory - and I'm not convinced that the build quality matches the price point. They don't come with a hood either, so you'll have to allow for that.

Last edited:
Both the 17-55 and 15-85 are very good lenses. Each has its own strengths. The 17-55 is a faster lens as others have pointed out. The 15-85 is a little wider and quite a bit longer. I guess you need to decide what is most important to you a faster maximum aperture or more reach.

By the way I will have an excellent 15-85 for sale if you decide to go down that road. I am going full frame.

I used a 24-105 on a 40D for a number of years and found it OK ,I also had a Sigma 10-20 as I used to do a lot of interiors for an estate agent.
Before I bought the 24/105 I tried the 17/55 f 2.8 but I found it a bit too short.
At the time the 15-85 was not available or I would have given that serious consideration.
Now having both FF and crop I find the 24/105 very good .
Personally if I was buying now for a crop I would have the 15-85 (its the 24-105 equivalent) provided you can live with the variable aperture

rather than the 10-20 mm why not go for the ultra wide sigma 8-16 mm i have the 10-20 but in the future i will prob go for a 8-16

many of you say the 15-85 mm how the lens i take every where with me is the 17-85 mm reading reports the 15-85 is better

I have a 24-105 which I will use only on my 5D. I also have the 650D and my lens of choice on that is 17-55 f2.8 when I want the best quality shots and a Canon 18-135 STM for just walking about on the off chance there may be a shot worth taking. As has been said it depends on what quality of image you expect from the shots. If you are never going to print large or crop tight then you may as well just get an 18-135 tbh, if the extra reach of the 135 isn't needed then definitely the 15-85 as a walkabout and the 17-55 for speed and IQ (remember that restricted focal range though). Most of the comments above are valid so its your call.

If as you say the 17-85 is the lens you take everywhere with you then its got to be the 15-85, much better as Val says.

If you are ever going to consider FF then the 24-105 would be the sensible choice and perhaps in the future think about a 17-40 too.

Have a look at your photos exif and see what sort of focal length you commonly use, that should help with a decision. Lots of people buy a wide angle and then very rarely use it that much, L lens also wins on build quality over the EF-S range.

The 15-85mm is better than the 17-85mm in most ways - it's probably what the 17-85mm should have been - but the older lens can produce very good images. I got mine as a kit lens with a 30D, and meant to sell it on and upgrade, but I've never got round to it. I may, one day, but I don't feel any compelling need to right now. I definitely wouldn't pay full retail for one though.

I got my 24-105 f4L as the kit lens with a 5D2. I haven't got the camera anymore but I've still got the lens and I love it. I've used it a lot on both full frame and crop bodies and got some great photos from it. I bought a Canon 24-70 f2.8 II as a companion to my 70-200 f2.8L IS II last week, which is absolutely fantastic, but I'm still very loathe to sell the 24-105. It's a great walkabout lens on both type of body, as long as you don't want to shoot too wide with a crop. If I only had a crop body though, I don't know if I'd pick the 24-105 f4 over the 17-55 f2.8 though, unless I really wanted the extra length.

I had a 24-105 on a 7D but replaced it with the 15-85, which I much preferred. IQ was basically the same but the extra width of the 15-85 on a crop body was a real advantage plus I also preferred the smaller size, lesser weight and design of the lens. I have a 24-105 again, this time on a 6D, but still prefer my old 15-85.

PS Don't let what you might possibly maybe inshalla do in the future, i.e., change to full frame, affect the decision as to which lens is best for you at the moment.

PS Don't let what you might possibly maybe inshalla do in the future, i.e., change to full frame, affect the decision as to which lens is best for you at the moment.
Totally this buy a quality crop lens second hand and you won't loose much money and won't have to use a compromise lens for an indeterminate amount of time. For example I'd never recommend a 17-40mm f4l on a crop it's bigger slower and not as good as a lot of the dedicated crop 17-50mm f2.8 lenses

I've the 24-105 and love it, get very nice results from it.

As others have said, the 17-55 or 15-85 are well worth a look at - for me, I tended not use the very wide end, so loosing the 17-24mm range wasn't a major problem, gaining the 85-105mm range was a great bonus, hence choosing the 24-105...

i would like to thank everyone who took time answer this thread its been very helpful indeed i will think very carefully over the next week or two and then dive in and make purchase

regards ken :ty:

Just another addition - I use a 24-105 on a crop (7D) - and rarely don't find it wide enough, but same as a couple of people above I have a 10-20mm to cover wider stuff when I need it. Conversely, I like the longer reach of the 105mm - partly depends what you're shooting really...

I use the 24-105 on the crop now and again if I need the reach. On the 5d3 it's great for walkaround, on the crop it's too long at 24mm min I feel. What about the 17-55 2.8 Or 17-40 f4?

Hi Kenz

Were you upgrading from a 17-85 lens? I'm in a similar situation at the moment and wondered if the 15-85 is really worth the upgrade? Several people have already suggested it is but I was just wondered what your experience has been?

Thanks

yes i upgraded from 17-85 . I only got the lens on Friday lunch time and i have just come back from a walk by the sea and first impressions are its very good. Its sharper ,colors and tones are better . Here's two from it paired with 650D

Last edited:
Back