6d or 5d mk2?

Name
owen
Edit My Images
No
hi have money saved up for both not really that fussed ont he 6ds wifi that doesnt really matter to me however i can get a low shutter example of the 5d2 for under 1k and the 6d i have found is £1300 are the improvements worth the extra?

Also i shoot mainly natural light portraits and studio work

regards

oh also been offered a *** condition 1d mk3 of the forums for around £800.....

I got a 6d for £1149 from HDEW. Plenty of posts on here of how reputable they are etc if you need to research them before you spend with them. 3 years warranty - 1 year with them (Using a UK canon dealer) and the other 2 years are some insurance warranty they give. I rang them first and asked questions and they were very helpful. The camera was posted from Hong kong so make of ot what you will. I paid by credit card though so no "Bank transfer only" risk.

I bought a 5D MkII off here 2nd hand and sold it on to fund the 6D (Price difference wasnt much so took the risk). The prices weirdly went up for 2nd hand - i either got a bargain or the 2nd hand market for 5DMk2's improved (Initial jumps to the Mk3 settled?)

All depends on what YOU prefer out of a camera and what you shoot. Mk2 is excellent, many people have made good livings using it, but i just never clicked with it (pardon the pun), much much prefer the 6D - in terms of weight, features etc.

GPS i couldnt care less. Low light its superb - ISO capabilities are outstanding. AF isnt much in it - slightly better on the 6D for me but i dont take sports/wildlife shots but between these 2 cameras neither would be the better option for that. WiFi is good for me - getting shots of me with the family and generally playing around/experimenting.

Might have just been my copy of the MK2 but i found exposure to be hit and miss - this could also be me at fault and that the 6D is more intuitive ? The 6D exposes shots much much better though for me.

I prefer the general feel, shutter action, dare i say it even button layout of the 6D too. Then i jumped from a 550d to 5DMk2 and then quickly onto the 6D so maybe it was always going to be a better fit.

There are a few 6d vs 5d MkII videos on youtube that should help make your mind up. I found a lot of forums/opinions which end in a 6D bashing because its not a 5DMK3 at £800-1000 dearer. Take them with a pinch of salt. A lot of people disregard anything because it "Doesnt feel pro enough" or its not the best of the best. A lot of people will make the decision because for their requirements or professional needs they need faster AF, dual cards etc

Basically, it depends what you use it for and which suits you best (and your budget).

If you can get anywhere and try them both first then that would be my best advise

Thank you mate appreciate the response im just getting ready to order a 6d you have convinced me ( done some research and yours has tipped me over) so appreciate it
i think i will work with low light eventually so useful and possibly wifi might be a useful addition for my studio work
cheers

No worries, thats me personally anyway. Everyones different and has different needs. If you can try them both then i recommend that, theres not many places to do this nowadays though. Im very pleased with the 6D. Hopefully you will be too then!

Exactly who i have ordered it with Orville thanks mate

I have been checking HDEW price. If you have any use for the kit lens, you may want to buy the 6D kit. Extra £470 for a new 24-105L seems like a bargain. I wish they did the same for 5D3 kit.

I think you've made a wise decision. I had a 5D2 briefly before I sold it and my 7D to get a 5D3. The 5D2 was very good but with the newer tech of the 6D I think the 6D would be the better bet. I bought my 5D2 and 5D3 from Hdew cameras and got great service both times. The 24-105 f4L is a cracking lens to go with the 5D's or 6D so if you haven't got any suitable it would be a good choice. The 24-105 also works well on the 7D, I use mine a lot on my 7D now as I have a 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 for the 5D3.

I had this dilemma recently. I went for the 6D and at no point have regretted it.

I went from a 550d up to a 6d with 24-70L (from HDEW - Superb service) and i am delighted with the camera. The IQ and noise handling is (IMO) incredible.

Back