Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 5DIII with 24-105 f4

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Bored at work and was curious folks choice...

I've recently got the mark 1 24-70 to go on my 6D, as my general everyday lens and although I'm happy with the results out from the lens, it feels too nose heavy and awkward, after having used the 24-105 since I first got the 6D. I was never disappointed with the 24-105, but as I was in a position financially to upgrade, I was happy to go ahead, but now that I'm here with both lenses and the 6D, I'm wondering if the 5DIII and 24-105 would be the way to go....

Btw, I'm not asking your opinions of what I should do, as we all shoot differently...just wondering what YOU would choose. :)

5D3 for superior AF (amongst other things) and 24-70 for the fast aperture. I have both. I can get more focal length with other lenses (I have 85/1.8, 100/2.8L, 135/2L and 70-200/2.8L is) but I can't turn an f/4 lens into an f/2.8 lens ever. Whether or not the weight is an annoyance, it is secondary to results.

I'd get rid of the heavy zoom and buy a nice light prime. Centre spot focus and recompose. Use the legs to zoom. Simple!

My personal choice would be 5D & 24-105.

interesting - especially given that you chose a 6D yourself - why in particular would you think the 5D ?

If it was me i'd probably stay with the 6D unless i felt it was limiting my photography - the 5D3 is a great camera (and there's some bargains about since the 5DS launched) but i don't believe in upgrading unnecessarily - like rich said if weight and nose heavyness is a problem i might be inclined to get a couple of primes

A friend has 5d3 that i have 'played around' with. As you rightly say i have a 6d

To me the 5d3 just seems to be a more 'versatile' camera than the 6d.

As FF is my secondary type of photography, i justified the 6d to myself on price.

It is a very good camera, just given the choice with money no object, from the 2 choices named, i would go with the 5d3.

I have a 6D and 24-70 f2.8 lens. It works fine for me and very versatile. 5d3 is heavier than 6D. Therfore, you will not see any benefit in weight when you use 5d3 and 24-105 lens.

Last edited:
Just to add another option to the mix what's about a canon 24-70mm f4 iS I recently got one and been very happy with it light weight and cracking IQ (but then it is a L) also doubles up as a macro lens I am surprised it hasn't been more popular

The 6d has the better sensor, the 5d the better AF.

Choose whichever is the most important from those two!

I'd still choose my 6d of the 5d3 for the sensor and low light ability and focus. The 6d AF wise has also never let me down, even with high speed tracking during sports shooting, so that nulifies the AF advantage of the 5d3.

Last edited:
Just to add another option to the mix what's about a canon 24-70mm f4 iS I recently got one and been very happy with it light weight and cracking IQ (but then it is a L) also doubles up as a macro lens I am surprised it hasn't been more popular
Its great but its not a true macro lens (I think its 0.7x magnification?). That said, its not far off :)

I'm lucky enough to be in the position of having both bodies, the 24-104 f4L and a 24-70 f2.8L II instead of the MkI version. Out of the choices I use the 5D3 and 24-70 much more than any other choice. I usually use my 6D as a backup to the 5D3 at weddings and events where the light may be challenging to the 5D3 (which is very good in low light anyway). I use the 5D3 for macro, wildlife and aviation among other things and out of all the bodies I've had it's been the best. I've no intention of upgrading it in the foreseeable future.

I really like the Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 VC on my 6D.

So, my vote is for a 5D3 plus the Tamron.

Back