8GB Sandisk Extreme III £29.99

Saw this on Hotukdeals, great price.

I haven't got a CF compatible camera yet, (hopefully d700 @ xmas) but still considering buying this CF in readiness.

Prices seem to be dropping slowly but surely - it's a question of how long you can hold on before they go back up! A la Deal or No Deal ;)

Good price you should also be able to get some quidco cash back on that too... I have already got 3 8gb memory cards looking at getting a 16gb when prices come down.

hmm...

sandisk's new lines are extreme (60mbps) and extreme pro (90mbps), so ultra, like extreme, is replacing their 'second line' of cards - but not at old ultra speeds.

The speed's the same as the old extreme 3's, so I assume that these 'ultra' cards are on a par with them... hopefully the build quality and durability is the same...wonder if you still get a cute little neoprene case :p

I'll be sticking with extreme 3's as my main cards (don't have much need for 60 or 90mbps...if only strobes could keep up with shooting raws that fast :p ), but I might pick up one of these as backup..if I don't go for the 60mbps versions as main cards... and report back :)

edit: play have got the new EXTREME 60mbps (eye watering...I want) 8gb card for £45 shipped... so there goes another reason to not shoot raw :p

Last edited:
Is the card from 7 day shop any good? I'm looking for a new CF card for my 50D. I only shoot in jpeg and rarely use the burst shooting for any more than 2 seconds at a time. Will the £20 card do the job OK? It's £10 cheaper than the one from play which is obviously half way towards buying 2!!:clap:

I have just received my £29.99 Extreme 3 from play.com and am happy enough.
The extreme 3 remains on Sandisk's website along side the new Ultra 30MB/s cards. I expect it is as stated earlier.
hmm...
The speed's the same as the old extreme 3's, so I assume that these 'ultra' cards are on a par with them... hopefully the build quality and durability is the same.......
When I want another CF will buy whatever seems best at the time.

received my 8gb ultra 30mbps card... seems to give the same performance as extreme 3 4gb cards, although it's noticeably lighter - quite impressive considering how light they are - but there's definitely a difference, so I do question the sealing and durability over the 'extreme' line cards, but meh... as a backup card to my usual 4gb ones it's fine, and probably fine for most people, and doubtless as reliable data security wise.

edit: just compared the 8gb 30mbps to the 30mbps extreme 3 4gb card in a deeply unscientific test...

2* D300's next to each other, hitting motor drive at 8fps on both, shooting jpeg holding the two shutters for about 3 seconds and then letting go and watching to see which LED went out first.

The 4gb card went out first by quite a decent amount of time, so yeah, I'm still happy with the 8gb card, it'll be fine as a 3rd card for each camera, but it does make me want the 8gb 60mbps cards that much more...

Back