97 year old lady from a black Lahu tribe in Northeastern Thailand

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
97 years young by David Harrigan, on Flickr

Took this portrait of a 97 year old lady in the traditional dress of the Black Lahu hill tribe in Northwestern Thailand, near Mae Hong Son last month. This lady and her husband (who was 106), invited my new wife and I into their home to explain the traditions and customs of the Black Lahu tribe. They were the basket weavers of the village and delighted in showing us the traditions and showing how some really intricate baskets were made.

Sitting in a raised bamboo hut, with the light from the doorway and a small fire (over which they made us tea) as the only source of light I asked if I could take a photograph. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Last edited:
Lovely shot. I like the lighting and up North is great

Thanks man. Northern Thailand is awesome.

I have a few more portraits from other tribes that I'll try and get around to sooner rather than later as well. I generally tried to take portraits in villages as I felt it was a bit more respectful to ask for permission rather than snapping away.

I think you should clone out the streaks of light behind her. To me they are very distracting, and I can't see the picture properly.

Back