A bag for a 5D3 and a short prime?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
As the title says: your recommendations please! I've got all sorts of bags from a Think tank Holster to a LowePro Runner, but I'm looking for something minimal so that I can take out my ungripped 5D with a 30, 50 or 85mm prime on it, without any superfluous bulk. Does such a bag exist? :thinking:

I just purchased a ThinkTank Retrospective 30 for this exact task. Bonus is it looks nothing like a camera bag!

The Retrospective 30 fits far more in it than a 5D body with only a short prime attached! You can fit two gripped cameras with zoom lenses attached and a tablet in there. I'm really looking for something that fits only what I've described. A bit like a LowePro Top loader, but not room enough for a zoom, just a short prime. Minimal is the key!

F stop make droploaders, the 10 is small. It's basically a lowepro toploader.

You could get an ONA Bowery, expensive but very nice

Think tank retro 5 would be my choice, I love the 7, the 5 might still be too big for you though

You can get something like a spider holster and have it on your side?

Crumpled used to make a banana hammock, it's just a wrap that you can put round your camera, if you Google it you'll see

Thanks Jon. That Banana Hammock would've been perfect, if they'd kept making them! I'm looking for something as simple as that for travelling light: I'm not wanting room for accessories, just something to protect the camera, that fits its form snuggly, that can easily be chucked in another bag or rucksack.

Last edited:
@jono: thanks, but I'm guessing the medium sized version of that case is a little small for a 5D, as Crumpler claim it's for a mid-sized SLR...

Last edited:
The F-Stop kit is always lovely, but can be pricey and hard to get hold of. I've got a couple of Lowepro Toploaders which are great for that type of role. This one might suit you: https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/lowepro/toploader-zoom/toploader-zoom-45-aw-ii/pd295/
Popped into Jessops in Brighton this afternoon to have a gander at bags, and it turns out the Top Loader Zoom 45 AW II is indeed a perfect fit for what I'm after: a 5D body fits in there snuggly with either my 50mm or 85mm attached [emoji106]

Last edited:
@Nifkin if you are interested I'm just about to list a Lowepro TLZ1 in the classifieds, this was the earlier version of the TLZ 45AWII, used it for my 5Dmkii and 17-40mm

Thanks Rich, but I already snapped up the 45AW II: off on holiday this week so wanted to get something before I left :cool:

Thanks Rich, but I already snapped up the 45AW II: off on holiday this week so wanted to get something before I left :cool:

Good for you, used mine for ages, a very handy bag, sold the 5D and it's a bit large for my Fuji

I've got a 75 which will take a Nikon DXXX with a 70-300 (and indeed a 70-200 f/2.8) or a pair of shorter primes (one fitted, one loose underneath it).

Enjoy your holiday!

Back